Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
winniewalleye777

Fish Trap Help

10 posts in this topic

Last year I purchased a Fish Trap Yukon and I am very pleased with the ease of use. I have only had one problem with it so far. The flap that hangs out around the base freezes down when I cover it with snow. The first time this happened, dumba** me thought the straps could handle a little pressure. I just pulled on the bar and it came up, but one of the straps that holds the bottom bar onto the canvas ripped off. I have to sew that back on now which should be an easy fix. Does anyone have a remedy for getting the flap off of the ice? Or do I just have to be more careful?

Be more careful and dont toss wet snow on the flap. I use "Snakors" from www.soderbloom.com

They are a canvas tube that you fill with dry sand or whatever you may want to use. Lay them on the apron of your house and your set. No more freezing in aprons.

Call quick because they are running low on them.

I have also seen guys use plastic coated chain but it doesnt seel up the apron as well in my opinion and they wont weigh as much.

I try to make sure there is a little snow underneath the apron, then cover the apron with snow. If you dont throw slushy snow on it you shouldn't have a problem. If I have to use slushy snow, the layer of snow underneath helps me to get the shovel under so the shovel is not in contact with the tarp.

Great idea, I just ordered 2 sets, should be much nicer than trying to bank with snow and slush.

like stated stay away from using snow that has mixed with the water from cutting your holes....go a couple yards from the house to gather snow for the apron.....I did the same thing with my fish trap pro and had to chisel the thing out after 10 hrs of fishing in one spot and I now have punctures on the apron but it still works fine just another lesson learned the hard way!!

Too many people put slush around bottom and have to chip it out. That's how many of the houses you see for sale end up with holes in the canvas. Use only snow-no slush. Good advice given by others.

Just bolt on a bunch of the bendable decoy weights to the bottom all the way around. Cheap and problem solved.

I know some guys run some medium weight chain through the sleeve as well. Sounds like a great solution, but I haven't tried it yet.