• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Cat parts?

Finlander

I've gone thru quite a few of those things over the years. Especially on my ZRT, which is pulling 3 carbs. Anyway, any dealer will have them. It's not an expensive part so I wouldn't waste my time looking for aftermarket stuff.

Edit - I was typing as pj_4 replied. You probably won't find a better price than that at a dealer.

It's not hard, I've done many myself. Can you take the recoil off without removing the muffler system? If so, that's great, just less to worry about.

Should be about 4 bolts holding the recoil on. Once you get the recoil off, there should be a single nut holding on a 'washer' on the top of the recoil, if you take that off you will see the 'dogs' under the washer, pay attention to them, might be some springs in there, just make sure they go back together like they came apart.

Your spring should be un-wound so once you remove the top pieces you should be able to just simply pull the plastic piece out SLOWLY, remove the rope, install the new rope, slide the plastic piece back in, turn it a bit and it should hook the spring, assemble the dogs again with the washer and nut and wind the spring and leave enough rope to reach the outside where the handle goes.

You should be able to test the unit by just pulling on the rope, as long as the dog or dogs are coming out and retracting when the rope goes back in you should be fine. Throw it back on the sled.

Don't wind the spring too tight or it will come undone and you'll have to take it all apart again. There might be a notch in the plastic part where the rope sets, that notch is for the rope when you wind it. If the ends of the rope are frayed, just use a match or lighter and heat them up and squeeze them together but don't use your fingers, that stuff is HOT, where gloves or use a pliers or something.

Mike

Personally, I'd get a new rope but if it looks like you won't be too short you could just cut off the bad part.

I've done this before but usually find out other areas of the rope are starting to go bad too.

Mike