• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about underwater cameras

Kidd

A question: I will be buying one of those camera compass gadgets and I've noticed there are two kinds. One that looks like a bucket cover, and the other is a small tripod looking thing. My question: do any of you have opinions on which is the better/easier to use?

Thanks in advance.

I have both and like the tripod better...however, like the other poster said, if you loose the rubber stopper, you are SOL. The good news is that I have found the rubber stopper for a vex cable works well..and you can pick one of those up almost anywhere they sell vex stuff.

Cliffy

I have both and like before mentioned i dropped the rubber stopper down the hole. I have since purchased the marcum cover style and it works great. Last year i remember posting asking what could be used as a makeshift stopper and numerous people stated they have used a 20 oz. pop bottle cap with a slit cut into it

They oughta make rubber stops that float!

My favorite holder is the Marcum Tech Ice Arm w/Clip. I like it because it packs down tiny.

I also use the Nature Vision tripod. It also packs down rather well, but it really shines in permanent shacks, because the legs will span the gap in the floor, and so there is no need to reach "way down" to ice level to adjust the camera cable.

Negatives? Note my first statement. It's a good idea to carry an extra stop for either unit.

Marcum's Camera Compass works slick for an inexpensive, tough, hole-covering, cable holder. Runs about $10-$15

If you're thinking you might "rotate" your camera more often, Nature Vision's motorized, remote control Mo-Pod tripod would be the ticket. Runs about $95 Allows you to sit back in your house and rotate the camera with a push of a button.

I made my own to fit over a 5 gal. bucket using a piece of Luan (sp) Plywood I had left over from paneling the perm. and some 1" polyfoam insulation also left over. Pulled a cleat off of the boat and presto. Cut a slot to the center for the cable and it works good. I saw the camera compass at the Ice Show a couple years back and asked them if they made it in a size to snap into a catch cover hole. Nope, but they liked the idea. I haven't seen that variation yet.