• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

battery???

Ryan_V

went to plow last night and the wheeler wouldn't start. put the charger on it, it started to take 10 amps, went right down to 2 then said "full". tried to start it... click, click, click. jumped it with a deep cycle and plowed. the winch worked but really dragged the lights down when I was going up and down with the plow. the wheeler is only a year old and I don't think the battery should be bad yet??? what do you guys think?? should I get a heavier duty battery since I plow with it?

I've heard some people having batteries go out on them right away. Most of them were improper prep of the battery from the dealer.Bring the battery in where it's warm and then try to charge it. Atv batteries are expensive, I'd contact your dealer if it is junk already.

Yes, charge it on a trickle charger for at least 8 hours. Do you have the AC engine or Kawi engine? I can't remember.
it an 07, I think its actually a suziki engine if I remember right.... I'll try and throw the charger on it, but it usually says it's full right away. what about batteries plus, would that be good, or should I spend the money and get one from the dealer...

Take the battery cables off the battery terminals, clean them up really good, and put them back on and try it. A starter requires a real good connection and if some corrosion has developed between the terminal and the terminal clamp, you may just have a problem there.

I run into this with equipment all the time. Everything looks good, lights are nice and bright, but try to start and all you hear is a click from the starter solenoid.

Bob

take the battery out and bring it to Napa they will charge it and check it and tell you right then and there if the battery is shot. then put a multimeter on the alternater while running and that will tell you if the alternater is charging or shot.

You can test the charging system with the battery connected. Start it up, bring the throttle up a little, test the voltage across the battery terminals. There should be over 12vdc for sure and most likely closer to 14vdc. If it's 12v or less, the charging system may be suspect.

Bob

Iwas told this morning that when you use them to plow and you are winching up and down alot that the wheeler does get the battery chareged up full Mine did the same thing and the battery actually froze up. Was told to get a small trickle charger that hooks up to the battery and you plug it in after plowing like a block heater.

good call spearman. have a call in to the cat dealer. ordered a new heavy duty battery and a tender to plug it in when not in use (year round) kind of a costly lesson, but now I'll have a good battery for the -20 days out on mille lacs!!

Try a different charger. I bought a batter last Dec. and noticed it was dead after hunting season. Put the charger on it and in about two minutes it went to full. All it did was click when I tried to start it. Was ready to go out and buy a new battery but instead I hooked up a different charger and the battery has been holding a charge and was able to start the wheeler when it was -10 degrees without a problem. Now I can spen the money on some chains instead.

My Suzuki came with a new battery when I purchased it a year ago. As soon as the cold weather set in all I could get out of was a click click click... Since I have a pull start on my Suzuki I could at least get it started that way. When I turn on the lights they are just as bright as ever... I asked at the dealer and they told me to start using a tender charger to help keep the battery charged up. It worked for a day or two but after this weekends cold and snow it decided to not start again even with the charger... I went ahead and purchased a new battery because when I get out on the ice I do not want to get stranded... Now with the battery it starts very well...

Everybody is telling me that we should be getting anywhere from 4 to 7 years...

What do you guys think???

You'll get a thousand different, but reliable stories as to how much life someone gets out of their battery. Some maintain them to a "T" and some don't.

I know when I've needed to replace batteries in the wheelers, I've relied on Odyssey batteries. Although they don't quite match mfgr specs size-wise, they are about then most reliable battery I've used. But they're expensive.

Did you buy your wheeler new? If so what does the dealer say about a battery that only lasts a year? I've got 4 years out of one, and 'am going on 4 with my 2005 Kingquad.You should definately get more than a year out of a battery, unless you ran it down in the winter, and let it sit and freeze.Most Atv batteries are expensive, so you would think they would last more than a year for sure.

I purchased my Kingquad used... The day that I test drove it the battery died so the dealer installed a new one. Im not sure but it may not have been the correct one. When I placed the new battery next to the old one the new one stands about an inch or two taller and seems to be heavier. The dealer that sold me the quad is the one that recommended a battery tender instead of a different battery. Needless to say I did not buy my new battery from that dealer...

I have an 04 Honda Rincon I put a quick disconnect in the line so that I can take the battery out and bring it inside when I'm not using the wheeler. Mine sits outside all the time. The quick disconnect I used is the type like you see on an electric forklift seems to work really well for me I havent had any problem since I did that starts everytime when I'm ready to use it no matter how cold it is outside or how long it been sitting without being used

Big Fish Hunter247