• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

speed odometer broken

Hey guys I have a 1994 buick regal gs and today I gave my buddy a jump. Well we got his car started and after I removed the cables and parked my car. Well turns out on my way to work today my speed odometer is broken and instead of reading that I was going 0 mph it was buried all the way to the left side. all of the other gauges work, I am guessing that I messed some electric component up or something. If anyone knows what could be wrong or what I should do let me know. Thanks guys!!!!

If the needle is stuck under the pin, very common, it can be as simple as carefully fishing a properly bent paperclip through the odometer reset button and pop the needle over the pin. If it is not accessible through or there is no reset button than the instrument cluster can be dissembled and the needle placed in the proper position.

I run into this all the time, if anybody knows any other tricks I am sure they will chime in!

PS, Welcome to HSO/Fishing MN/Iceleaders!!!!

alright well I was wondering if that is hooked up where it is ran by a computer or something. I just hope that it is an easy fix and I dont have to replace some big expensive part because I helped out a buddy.

Well I have more problems now. Just went to get in my car to go to work and my car is completely dead. We had jumper cables on it for around a half hour and we got nothin. All that I get is the click click click. My battery is dead. Do you guys think that I should wait it out and try again in a few hours or do you think that I need a new battery?

A bunch of rapid clicks in a row with the key held in the crank position usually indicates a low battery. One click every time the key is turned to the crank position usually indicates a bad starter.

Its also the season for loose battery terminals. Just had one show up at the house last night. 30 seconds under the hood with a 5/16" to tighten up a loose negative terminal at the battery and the vehicle starts like there is no tomorrow!!!

If it is the battery, with any luck when its changed the needle might reset itself!?!? wink