• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Throttle will not MOVE!

smackthewalleyes

First of all, thanks to all who put their input in because I am no mechanic! My 2001 Arctic Cat 500 throttle has locked up on me twice this year already in the cold weather. Basically, I go out and start it up and when I go to hit the throttle it doesn't budge at all. I am thinking my throttle cable is freezing up but have no idea what caused it or how to fix it. Am I on the right track here or am I way off. Thanks again for the information.

I think your on the right track. Moisture probibly got in there. IMO the best thing to do is replace the cable. But if you want, take the cable off bring it inside thaw out then pour isoprope down cable to rince then spray wd40 or any other lube to prevent corosion.

Just bringing it inside for a night might do the trick but if it doesnt then your back to taking it off again.

my uncle's 05 does the same thing!!!! you gotta leave it in a warm place over night or let it run for 15 mins :S.....the dealer said that theres mositure in the throttle cable....hes had it fixed like 2 yrs ago but its doin it again this yr!!

I had this happen on my lawn tractor that I'm going to use for ice fishing. I took the cable off and warm in up to thaw the ice, then used my air compressor to blow out all the water, then I sprayed it full of white lithium grease, no more problems so far. you could always try that. it's alot cheaper than a new cable. you just have to make sure that the grease gets in there so no more water can get in. I wouldn't use WD40, it can evaporate and then water can get in there again. just my thought.

Unless there is something wrong (cracked outer coating) with the current cable I can only imagine that a new cable will also have the same issue. Unless you can figure out the moisture is getting in the cable you are going to keep having the same issue on a new one.

I agree with thawing the cable, sending some isopropyl down the line and then some type of lubricant that will not be affected by the cold weather.