• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger and gas consumption

Adam Wolf

I just bought a used Strikemaster Lazer Mag Xpress, was wondering how many holes one can drill on a tank of gas (say 12 inchs of ice). It cuts an 8 inch hole.

Do you need to bring extra gas out for an evening of fishing or should I be good to go if I fill it up before I leave.

Drilling 20 plus holes by hand last Sunday made the decision for me to invest.

Thanks!

I would say you can go a day with 1 tank of gas easy. Most guys wont drill 100 holes in a day. Thats a lot of holes.

I have only had about half a dozen days where I had to fill my tank on my Nils again. That was a light to dark day just peppering spots that looked good on the gps. Glad I did it because I found some out of the way fish and caught them with nobody in sight.

I always carry a extra 1 gallon tank of gas though.

Hold'on, let me check my notes....

Holes drilled per trip;

(my record is 137 btw....)

Thats 228 holes this year, anywhere from 5-11" of ice, and I have used just over a half gallon of gas. You wouldn't need to bring more gas with for an evening of fishing, but I always keep a tank in my truck, if I know I'll be pushing the 50+ hole mark it stays in the fish house. That fateful day last March when I drilled 137 holes, we were on about 30" of ice and I used just under 2 auger tanks, this is on a Jiffy 2hp 8"

I just bought a used Strikemaster Lazer Mag Xpress, was wondering how many holes one can drill on a tank of gas (say 12 inchs of ice). It cuts an 8 inch hole.

Do you need to bring extra gas out for an evening of fishing or should I be good to go if I fill it up before I leave.

Drilling 20 plus holes by hand last Sunday made the decision for me to invest.

Thanks!

Wow, talk about a "custom fit" post...

12" of ice and a full tank of gas = ~120 holes.

Here's a tip for extra auger gas. I use a 20 oz. pop bottle as my extra gas supply. I only mix one bottle at a time and it is enough to fill the auger tank. I don't have a lot of other two cycle machines so I don't waste a whole gallon or two. I don't fish as much as some people, so I probably only go through two or three bottles a year. Easy to keep fresh and take more along for the trips where I'll be punching a lot of holes. Make sure you completely wash and dry the bottle before using.

on average I would say I get 100 holes a tank.....I just top off my auger before I leave for the day and if I go for a weekend I bring some mixed up gas with but I have rarely had to refill and I love to cut holes in the ice

push comes to shove, easiest way to deal with gas, go to wallfart and buy yourself a 1 us gallon can and leave it in ur truck, u run out u run out just fly back to the truck and fill up. thats what i do at least but then again i ALWAYS find a spot with fish before i even get close to needing gas

Go into the camping section of a decent outdoor store and they should have 1/2 and 1 liter gas cans made for backpacking stoves. They will have a loop on the top for a rope and they will vent if you open them up to let out the pressure. They are red in color. I will mix up a gallon and carry the 1/2 liter in a pail just in case I go nuts drilling holes.

I can drill a ton of holes maybe I should count the next time I fill her up. I remember drilling till I thought it wasnt fun ne more last year and I still had a bunch of gas left. I would prolly guess its over a couple hundred. I think I read last year that my auger could drill 500-600 per gallon with 12" of ice. the next time I go I will tally the number of holes and get back to ya...

I've never kept track, but I did notice a huge difference in the amount of gas I use when I switched to the Lazer blades from my chipper blade. The consumption has probably dropped by more than half. I'm also one who just brings a can along just in case I need it. I mix up a gallon at a time.