• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

StrikeMaster Magnum III, is it a good unit ?

Valv

Question

I have an opportunity to get a StrikeMaster Magnum III 49cc ice auger at a great price, never used. Is it a good unit ?
I mainly fish from house and sometimes travel, but not much .

9 answers to this question

If you are looking for a chipper blade type auger I would look at a Jiffy. They have a higher gear ratio and will cut faster. Depending on the model you choose you can purchase one brand new for $275 to $300.

If you are looking for a auger I have a 8" lazer Mag for sale for $200. This auger was only used for 1 month.

I have had my mag III for 5 years now bought it as a display model for $150 winter clearance, and it's been nothing short of excellent. I use a 6" lazer head. I have an 8" lazer auger and a 10" chipper that came with the unit that I never use probably should sell them. Great auger. I don't do anything special to winterize it either just run the gas out of it and that's it.

Valv, I have 2 of the mag III's, one I bought at an auction for 70 bucks which is a work horse and starts every time, and one that came with the fishhouse I bought, that has seen better days but still works. I keep the good one for myself, and when a friend wants to borrow one they get the other one. I am pretty happy with these augers, I, myself, don't see the need to buy a more expensive auger when the ones I have work fine. I also don't go up north where I may need a bigger model. I mainly fish the metro area & the Alexandria/Glenwood area