• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electric or gas oven?

stick

So I'm starting a preliminary design for "THE" home buildout (to start between 5 and 25 years...how's that for planning ahead). I enjoy cooking and have become a gas guy for my traditional oven/stove. I was at a home appliance store last weekend killing time, and was looking at their kitchen appliances. I was eyeballing a separate "in counter" stovetop with 6 burners and it must be gas as I've grown addicted to gas after growing up with electric. Here is my question:

I would like to do a dual "in-wall" oven, and my gut says to go electric versus gas for a few reasons but primarily the moisture of gas combustion that has adverse affects on keeping foods warm (specifically fried fish), etc.

What are any recommendations as to ovens...gas or electric?

I like elctric ovens, unless you will be baking alot of things hot and fast, homemade pizza comes to mind, then gas holds an andvantage as it will heat up quicker and recover quicker. Although the moister is a concern like you said. For this reason I would say get an electric oven and put a large baking stone in it when needed.

Maybe I have a bad electric oven (Yup, it's older). But I can't stand it. I've cleaned it multiple times, etc.

I can usually turn the temp down, 50+ degrees from what something says and cut the time down 1/4-1/5th and it still burns.

Like I said, It could be my oven, but I will give myself a piece of mind and get a gas one next time.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't seen the gas/electric models out there. It certainly makes sense.

I really like the convection models, too and have heard great things about them.

Electric oven is the way to go. The temperature in an electric is more constant with less temperature fluctuations(that was redundant wasn't it). This is why they are now offering gas burners with electric ovens.

What makes it more redundant is someone quoting you. grin

Seriously though, I have the dual fuel stove (gas cook top, electric stove top) and love. I bought it before I got married and the wife really likes it too.

Not to hijack the thread but hoggs222 you might want to get an oven thermometer to find out the true temp in the oven. I had the same problem as you and bought the thermometer and made adjustments to my cooking temps and times.

If you have a dial temperature adjustment on your oven, you can calibrate them pretty easily. Leave an oven thermometer in at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes before you read the temp the first time. Let it cycle a few times to get the most accurate reading.

I'd like to hear other opinions on the gas/electric units. I have always liked my smooth top, but it seems like a gas stove may be a little quicker to heat up and cool down.