Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hitthebricks

Catalytic Converters

11 posts in this topic

My Daughter brought her car into one of those chain type parts and repair places and was told the Converter was bad/clogged. They suggested she should have it cleaned by one of their techs. Is this possible to do or is this a replace only part?

Thanks HTB

I have never heard of cleaning a cat converter. Why was it brought in? Was she having a specific problem or is this a, ahem "maintenance" issue. Usually if a converter has a problem it will show up as a driveability concern and will also set a code and turn on the check engine or service engine soon light.

Yep, in fifteen years of auto service, I have never heard of cleaning a cat. "Cleaning it out" yes. Which means knocking out the catalyst(which is illegal by the way). Why? A large convertor is worth around $45 to be recycled. A box of catalyst knocked out of a convertor is also worth money. Not as much of course. I would want clarification. Sounds like a "maintenance" item as mentioned before.

I used to work for a fleet company. My first question was always

"what did the driver bring it in for?"

if there was no complaint and its not a saftey issue, change the oil and send it out the door.

Thats what I thought. There is no service light on and is running rough, it does have 120K on it and I would bet the plugs are original. Most likly it needs a good tuneup. Air Jer, my daughter lives in Woodbury, what hours do you work?

Thanks

HTB

3-10 this week! 651-739-4526

What kind of vehicle is it? I may not be interested! laugh lol just giving you a hard time. Right now I am about a day behind but if she would like to stop by, ask for me (jeremy) I would be happy to take a quick peek. Otherwise our diagnostic time is a tad over $100. I am sure the other shop already charged you something so I think we could work out something if I needed to spend some time on it.

Airjer, my daughter Alissa said she will give you a call and set up an appointment. I trust you will treat her right.

Thanks

HTB

Call received, ruff estimate given, and appointment made for Saturday w/ possibly a free rental car for her convenience!

With the lack of power and the catalytic converter inefficiency code I think we are on the right track. I will confirm on Saturday with a test drive and a visual inspection of the cat before replacing! With these symptoms there should be no problem seeing the problem!

Thanks HTB!!