Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dale08

Looking for Smelt?

8 posts in this topic

I am heading up to Red Lake at the end of janurary with a group of guys on our yearly trip and i am looking for a place that i can by some Smelt for the pike up there. I would like to find about a dozen or so frozen smelt about 4 to 6 inches long for the trip. I live in south western minnesota and been looking all over down here in the big grocery stores with no luck. Need some help please.

Stop in at moreys in either motley or brainerd and they both have smelt on hand. It works great!!

Hey guys thank you so much for the info. I am going to get a hold of that moreys number and give him a call to make sure they will have some when we come up that way.

You are looking for smelt now? Why do you have to be looking for smelt now? If you would have been looking for last year at this time I would have had all you needed. Thousand of them 100's of pounds, and not a single person wanted any. I had to use them for trapping bait. Also I made my cat and dog eat 100's of them, good thing though I found out that they are amazing for their coats.

Sorry I just thought that this would be a great place to vent on the fact that I caught way to many smelt a few years back.

I got one....how big were your smelt?

I'd like to buy some from you in the future if you have a surplus!!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Been out on a few solo adventures lately. Finding some slab crappies mostly. Got into a mix of gills and slabs today! Fish have been hit and miss this ice season locally but if your willing to put the work in you can find em. Finding fish in that 20-30 fow area depending on the weather. Crappies range from 12-14" and the gill is 10". Most fish caught on plastic baits, a few on waxies. It's been a blast lately! Hopefully my luck keeps up! Have a look!! 
    • Very good-think for yourself.  Trust-to a degree-your gut.  Hemingway always bragged about his buhlsnick sniffer and most of the press people in my life have had excellent  sniffers. But you HAVE to believe in some media efforts simply because there is no value to them of lying about some things and frankly I doubt that many do with any regularity. As far as you 'why I have no idea" regarding political parties and those "invested" in them it is because they BELIEVE certain causes or philosophy's are what they agree with.  Nothing wrong with that. Communists fervently believe (or did) that their way was the best.  Libertarians the same and of course Republicans and Democrats espouse the basic beliefs of their party. There is nothing wrong with any of the PARTIES.....it is the PEOPLE who end up at the top of them. I have learned that one of the reasons for that is simple:   too many truly good and decent people pf talent and ability cannot bring themselves to run for office. It has become degrading and the reason is simple.....because the public trashes and bashes all politicians as "corrupt" and the politicians who ARE corrupt deter others from seeking office. We have some pretty sleazy people running this country and it is sad. No,   I do not know the answer. It is too late.
    • The great part is he doesn't own a house yet down here so if the plan is in-home daycare, he can look for a house that will suit his needs.   One thing I would do different if I were going to up and move but I had to stay around the metro area, I would move to the far north suburbs instead of the far south suburbs where I am now. I hate having to go through the cities in order to go up north for the weekend camping or fishing.
    • You should make us all some ribs so we can taste it. 
    • I like a lot of the new Shell's flavors that they have now but I got burnt out on regular Shell's back in college because I had 3 roommates that were all from New Ulm and they could buy returnable bottle cases really cheap. How ever many cases could stack in our apartment from floor to ceiling is how many we would go through each week.
    • The drawer rails you just want ones with "detent" on them. I think ours are set to 10lbs.   Here are pics for the doors.
    • You might want to try, if you haven't already, the app WAZE on your phone.   real time traffic and suggested alternative routes.  
    • I had a guy do that also on Sat in N.D. Pulled in with a Ford F350 and a big Ice Castle and started his  2000 watt All-Pro generator and set it in front of his pickup about 40 ft and went and got in his house. I went and asked him if he want to plug into my Honda 2000 so I didnt have to listen to its all afternoon.   But when I left we picked up and got everything ready. He never came out and I could see him looking out the window so I just unplugged his cord and picked up my generator and left. Never came out to thank me. But the guy next to me thanked me so he wouldnt have to listen to it.
    • Agree on both Stall & Stewart as huge bonuses....but I'm not going to give Fletch credit...it's all on those 2 players that they resurrected their game with new found youth.  It was a "wing & a prayer" from Fletch's standpoint....he had to do something, threw his darts on the wall and they stuck at Stall and Stewart and fortunately for Fletch it has worked out...and both were cheap signings....
    • Dang right!! Nuttin' better than the Reb and Smurfy show!!!! 
  • Our Sponsors