• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

snowblower primer problem ?

Roop-Dogg

Question

i have snowblower with a rubber push type primer. you know, push the primer 3-4 times, pull the rope and snowblower starts. the last 2 times i tried to start my s.b. the primer would not push/pump---it felt like it was plugged or somethimg as when i tried to push it, it was just tight (?) felt like nothing was releasing out of the back side. it was like pushing on a balloon or tennis ball. i got out my little propane heater and directed heat towards s.b. for 4-5 minutes and then i could push primer and hear/feel gas going out and snowblower starts. after i blow snow, i check primer and it works. after it sits in attached garage overnite, it acts like its plugged or froze shut until i warm it up with heat. it is older s.b. but has always run with out problem. any advice as to why the primer will not work or what i can do to make sure it works when i need it.

5 answers to this question

Roop I have to agree with upnorth that it sounds like water in the line unless you have been able to run a tank of gas through the tank since the problem started. It you have maybe open the gas cap when you are done just to see if it is some how creating a vacuum. It might be time to run some tune up in a can grin

its not a gas cap vacuum problem--checked that already. did think of water but thought w/ 10% ethanal i wouldn't have a water problem.

i will try to run some kind of cleaner thru it.

also, sometimes when primer has been pushed in, it will not readily expand again. it comes out very slow or if i massage it, it will slowly come back. thank you for your replys

On the side of the carburator there is a small vent hole for the float bowl. The vent hole gets plugged with ice, dust, whatever, and it can cause a whole bunch of issues. You are experiencing one of those. Another common one it causes is the carb freezes up and will not run without the choke on. Nasty little deal! Your heater (?!) in the vicinity happened to get enough heat in the area to thaw it out. I guess I would suggest that you spray off the outside of your carb with the sheild off, find the hole, and clean it out. I would caution against having any heat source that close to gasoline. Especially a propane heater. Please be safe.