• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Night Fishing

NavyFishin

Night fishing can be great. Ive been on lakes where the walleyes didnt bite durrig the day but when 9 oclock rolled around the bite was on. Same with crappies

I just finished, and got it out of the basement, assembeling a 8x8 CanvisCraft Northlander with norpac2 insullation. Set it up in the drive way and the big buddy kept it toasty warm on low. Really didnt need the heat on all the time but I like it warm.

Lots of night ice fishing for sure!!

Nothing like getting that 2:00 wake up call of a walleye spinning the old rattle wheel grin

Croixflats I am jealous of your fish house. I have a 8x8 but do not have the Norpac2 but I did put in a 2" foam wrapped in 1/4" plywood for my floor and this year I am adding some Insultex just to help my night fishing comfort grin

I love night fishing..... while everyone is getting off the lake, im usually heading out onto the lake.... and I have the whole lake to myself. When the ice gets think enough to drive on it, just make sure to have plenty of reflective tape on your shack so you don't get hit by a car or a snowmobile

you don't exactly NEED glow jigs but they are a plus.

And no northern don't usually tend to feed after dark but last year at about one in the morning my buddys and i had a couple rattle reels down with suckers for walleyes and we got a 28" northern. Man was that weird, but i guess it can happen I wouldnt go out targeting pike after dark though

Walleyes, Crappies and 'pout will be your predominant species after dark. Things that glow/rattle/flash/ are great at night, I also find myself upsizing lures and jigging more aggresivly after dark, I think it makes it easier for the fish to locate them.

Nothing like getting that 2:00 wake up call of a walleye spinning the old rattle wheel grin

Croix Flats I am jealous of your fish house. I have a 8x8 but do not have the Norpac2 but I did put in a 2" foam wrapped in 1/4" plywood for my floor and this year I am adding some Insultex just to help my night fishing comfort grin

I thought about doing that to my floor but that was after I finished.

Will that insultex come in bright colors or white or can you give it a die wash. The reason I ask is with the norpac it sure gives a guy good light inside.

Ok, so I went out last night around 11. Fished until around 3am. Not one bite! Moved around, glow, shiny, rattle... My buddy and I tried it all. We were marking them on the Vex but no takers. Tried minnows, waxies, power... Oh well. Some nights you get'em, others you dont. But when all was said and done it was well worth it. You and your buddy out there with a couple cold ones enjoying the crisp fresh air and a nice conversation. Heck, the other option was sleep? Rather be fishing!

The way my schedule has been shaping up night fishing may be the only time I will be able to get out there! So far the porty is still hanging in the rafters! Have to find a different spot to park the motorcycles so that I can get the thing down! 20 pounds of [PoorWordUsage] in a 15 pound bag if you know what I mean!!! I am hoping to get it down some time this week and take it on its mainden voyage this weekend. Heck, soon I will no longet have to pull the thing out by hand I can just take the truck on the ice! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I catch Northerns after dark all the time here in Upper Michigan. My brother, myself and a friend all caught pike over 30" at about 12:30-1:00 in the morning. Night fishing is the best. Get the lake all to yourself and some of the hottest bites. Besides is there ever really a bad time to go fishing?