Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pinkfloyd4ever

America's Most Wanted

31 posts in this topic

Just read that a guy on his deathbed in prison confessed to his family that he was the one who killed John Walsh's son. Guess that he was always a prime suspect but authorities bungled some of the evidence and such so that they couldn't get a clean conviction.

The has been dead a few years but he was always the prime suspect. The authorities announced today they have solved the case and closed it identifying him as the killer. John Walsh was formerly very critical of the admittedly bungled investigation but today indicatead his thanks to the investigators for wrapping the case up and providing closure to the family. This case's mishandling and many failures drastically changed the way missing child cases are handled and also of course inspired Walsh to create America's Most wanted which has helped capture hundreds of criminals. He's done better than I can imagine at turning a nightmare beyond nightmares into a very positive thing.

RIP Adam Walsh.

It's a sad thing for sure. I couldn't imagine loosing a child in anyway, but that has to be horrible. To turn what happened to him into such a possitive for many people is a great thing. I'm glad the family finally has some closure.

Didn't Otis Toole run with Henry Lee Lucas, and when they were caught, confess to thousands of unsolved murders, most of which have been de-bunked by law enforcement?

There was something I watched on the tube about Lucas not too long ago, and have read books about the two of them.

As messed up as the Walsh investigation was, hopefully Toole was the guy.

They did say Toole had confessed to this murder twice and recanted and had also confessed to hundreds of others he was cleared of. This newest confession was on his death bed and given to his sister, not as any type ploy. I think that's why they believe him finally now.

Back then

In 1983, Toole claimed to have committed the 1981 abduction and murder of six-year-old Adam Walsh. Since he knew the store from whence the child was kidnapped, a fact that had been withheld from the public, and had claimed to have injured Adam in a way consistent with the physical evidence, Adam's father, John Walsh, believes to this day that Toole was the culprit. The negligence of the local police, who impounded Toole's car but lost the blood-stained carpeting that could have provided a forensic link to the murder, stymied any attempt to positively attributed the heinous murder to Toole. Cruelly, the cold-hearted Toole offered to take Walsh to the body of his dead son for a fee, but was turned down. Toole later recanted this confession, but Henry Lee Lucas insisted that Toole had killed the boy.

On September 15, 1996, at the age of 49, Ottis Toole died in his prison cell from liver failure. He was buried in a prison cemetery, as nobody claimed his body.

And yesterday.

The authorities have not released information on what evidence conclusive linked Ottis Toole to Adam Walsh's murder, but they are confident that Toole is the killer.

Reports indicate there was no DNA evidence involved.

Hollywood Police Chief Chad Wagner has stated,"If you're looking for that magic wand, that one piece of evidence, it's not there"

John Walsh and his hyped up child abduction legacy is the main reason parents no longer allow the kids to play outside unsupervised. His work with AMW is to be commended, but his outright fear mongering on other issues has contributed greatly to the wussification of America.

wussification? Parents taking care of and protecting their kids makes them wussified? Granted some people go to too much of an extreme as with anything, but watching over and protecting your kids is your job. If people didn't realize the hard way that there are real creeps out there, how many more Adam Walsh's or Jacob Wetterlings would there be?

Quote:
Parents taking care of and protecting their kids makes them wussified?

No, parents over protecting their kids makes them wussified. Although one is too many, how many kids have been abducted and killed by strangers in this state in the last ten years?

I'm just happy that there are parents out there that still allow their children to explore and play outside by themselves. Abduction rates were greater when I was growing up in the 70's than they are these days, yet parents act as though this world was a much safer place back then compared to now, which isn't true.

John Walsh and his hyped up child abduction legacy is the main reason parents no longer allow the kids to play outside unsupervised. His work with AMW is to be commended, but his outright fear mongering on other issues has contributed greatly to the wussification of America.

Do you have kids Duff? I know since I've had mine my outlook has changed drastically.

Nope, no kids. And I'm sure I'd also have a little different outlook if I had some. I was watching a program where parents were talking about the disconnect between kids and the outdoors these days. And the main fear was child abduction, which is extremely rare, this fact was pointed out during the show, and the parents really had no answer for their fear other than to blame it on the medias constant hype over this issue.

I was just saddened by that fact. I remember the days when I just had to be within hearing distance of the dinner bell come supper time, otherwise I had free roam, and I mean miles of free roam.

Nope, no kids. And I'm sure I'd also have a little different outlook if I had some. I was watching a program where parents were talking about the disconnect between kids and the outdoors these days. And the main fear was child abduction, which is extremely rare, this fact was pointed out during the show, and the parents really had no answer for their fear other than to blame it on the medias constant hype over this issue.

I was just saddened by that fact. I remember the days when I just had to be within hearing distance of the dinner bell come supper time, otherwise I had free roam, and I mean miles of free roam.

I hear you. That's how I grew up too. John Stossel did a report not too long ago and, if I remember right, he found that things really aren't as bad as the media reports. As with most issues, things are just reported more now.

I can see where you are coming from, but until you have kids you won't understand it. I would love to let my kids run the neighborhood like I was able to do, but times are a lot different.

Quote:
I can see where you are coming from, but until you have kids you won't understand it. I would love to let my kids run the neighborhood like I was able to do, but times are a lot different.

Sandmannd, completely agree.

I see you're in St. Paul. We were in a fairly good spot in St. Paul for 13 years & never noticed the, ah, less reputable elements until we had kids. We had good neighbors & a quiet street - with a couple exceptions. But all it took were those exceptions (uncontrolled dog, dealer, violent juvenile delinquent) for us to decide it wasn't worth letting our girls outside alone. And there were some incidents.

We ended up moving to the suburbs so our girls could go to a better school (which is really sad but a whole different topic). Where we live now, we'll go drink with friends at their firepit at 10PM in the summer & not see our little ones for an hour as they run around playing flashlight tag & not worry about them at all.

Depends on where you live. I would never have been comfortable with that in our former home, which is really too bad.

Originally Posted By: Duffman

geez...back in the late 1960's, we would leave the house after breakfast and come back at dinnertime and mom and pop never wondered were we were. we usually would go visit the kid who was on a harness and cable. you could do that back then

So Max, am I to understand that you had to flee your sustainable urban community governed for generations by the DFL due to concerns about the safety and education of your children???!!! Am I to further understand that you moved to the evil suburbs (code for Republican) seeking a better place???!!!

Thankfully, you had the financial wherewithal to make such a move, consigning those less fortunate to a lesser fate in your old neighborhood.

The Cities have never held much attraction for me as a place to either live or raise a family. I have the utmost admiration and respect for those parents who can get the job done in what I consider less than ideal conditions.

By the time our kids were reaching school age, we were in place where we had woods behind us, parents peering out windows on a regular basis - rushing to the assistance of any unfortunate rug-rat who fell off their scooter, crashed on their roller skates or went for an unexpected ride courtesy of my old lab Baxter (who the kids liked to hook up to a wagon and pretend it was Westward Ho time, complete with pioneer dresses for the gals and coonskin hats for the boys).

Years ago my phone rang - it was a neighbor concerned about a strange van going slowly, stopping in front of houses, during the middle of the day. Kids were out, parents were on the lookout, and an INTRUDER had been spotted. I think the poor guys in the mapping van probably [PoorWordUsage]-ped their pants as Dads descended from every conceivable angle, none of us smiling, while the Moms clutched phones and prepared to call in reinforcements if necessary.

We can say what we want about how things SHOULD be, but when push comes to shove, we all let personal beliefs and political stuff take the backseat. Its the safety and upbringing of the kids that motivates much of the suburban movement.

Quote:

Sandmannd, completely agree.

I see you're in St. Paul. We were in a fairly good spot in St. Paul for 13 years & never noticed the, ah, less reputable elements until we had kids. We had good neighbors & a quiet street - with a couple exceptions. But all it took were those exceptions (uncontrolled dog, dealer, violent juvenile delinquent) for us to decide it wasn't worth letting our girls outside alone. And there were some incidents.

We ended up moving to the suburbs so our girls could go to a better school (which is really sad but a whole different topic). Where we live now, we'll go drink with friends at their firepit at 10PM in the summer & not see our little ones for an hour as they run around playing flashlight tag & not worry about them at all.

Depends on where you live. I would never have been comfortable with that in our former home, which is really too bad.

That sounds just like us Max. We would love to move out of the city but have hit (like most of America) some bad financial times. We make due with what we have. Have a roof over our heads and good cars and a wonderful family. That's all that matters to me anyway. It's sad that they can't just run and play around the block, but I'm here to protect them and it's as simple as that.

And by the way, this is the second time you've agreed with me Max. You really need to stop that, it's making us look bad!! laugh

So Max, am I to understand that you had to flee your sustainable urban community governed for generations by the DFL due to concerns about the safety and education of your children???!!! Am I to further understand that you moved to the evil suburbs (code for Republican) seeking a better place???!!!

Thankfully, you had the financial wherewithal to make such a move, consigning those less fortunate to a lesser fate in your old neighborhood.

God, I love it.

That is just too perfect! grin

Quote:

Ha! Actually we loved that neighborhood until we had kids, & if it weren't for the handful of miscreants, it would have been a great place for the tykes. Unfortunately those "types" can show up anywhere. I have friends in "nice suburban" neighborhoods who have the same kinds of problems.

And I had the added problem of being ornery & contrary & being surrounded by people who agreed with me. I hate that. I'm much more comfortable out in the 'burbs surrounde by the enemy...

Quote:
And by the way, this is the second time you've agreed with me Max. You really need to stop that, it's making us look bad!!

Hey Sandy, &%^^%%^ you. Ahhhh, that felt goooood. smile

Mt.18:6 "But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea." In the end there will be justice for all. Regardless of what happens here on this earth. Period.