• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Favorite Ice Rods"

BuschPilot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Mitchell rod is the 26" Perch. Great all around rod that can be used for most species. It is my go to rod.

I agree with Dtro, the Perch rod is the best rod for fishing your average walleye's and crappies.

Love my st croixs, dont care what others think. Last weekend on the ice, i knew 6 groups that were out there at the same time. they only pulled 4-5 fish per group. I pulled 16 myself and my buddy right next to me pulled one using the same lure but using a genz stick.

TB rods are top of the line but very spendy. By far the best panfish rod for the price is the St Croix Premiere 28" UL. Awesome rod for only $20 and the only thing I use for pannies anymore.

One thing about Jason Mitchell is you can't beat Jason's customer service. One of my 30" Walleye rods cracked a little last year so I called the customer service number. Jason Mitchell himself answered and I told him what happened. Didn't even have to send the rod in and I received a new one in the mail 5 days later, no shipping charge or anything.

Its funny that if you were a summer fishing person and you had the money to purchase the highend summer rods: G-Loomis, you would. Why is it not any different for winter rods. If cost is an issue, then TB rods need to be taken off the discussion or that should be the one that most people would buy. If cost is the issue then TB is not for you even though we could spill 2-3 hundred on a summer rod. If you can afford the TB rods that should be the one you are looking at. Even if you only see them on line. They awesome in person. I have played in the store for hours and have not found one i did not like. Most poeple that like other rods have not tried the TB rods or purchased one for a specific species and have to buy other rods to fill the void and cannot afford to.

I still have and fish with my first TB rod and that was called the Professional. I bought that at least 15 years ago and it still gets used but not as much as my Walleye Sweetheart. I have quite a few Jason Mitchell rods and they are all great. The build quality and the thought process when they are designed is one of the things that really impress me about the rods. I have 2 new JM that I have yet to try but will use very soon and that is the 24" spring bobber and the 38" Laker spinning to go along with my Mackinaws for I have rigged for Lakers but will also serve a dual purpose when used for pike fishing over the Christmas holidays.

I talked with Jason Mitchell in regards to his rods and where they were built and the components used. Yes, many blanks are made in China and one can purchase a blank from the bottom end up to the finest blanks made. Jason's blanks come from Korea. many components for rod building are also made in Japan and that does by no means mean they are of inferior quality at all.

The assumption that blanks that are made overseas are of less quality is totally wrong.

This is true... Anything made in Japan is always top notch! I'm just not huge on overseas production of our products. They make some fine quality stuff, not saying JM rods are not good, but it's always nice to see items produced or manufactured (put together) in the good ole USA. A plus if it's a Minnesota company (Otter, Strikemaster, TB rods etc.) Especially, with the current employment and financial situation of our country. I feel it is everyone's responsibility to try and help our economy...

if g-loomis had ice rods thats what i'd be rollin with.

if your on a budget check out some of the HT rods....reel seats, big eyes so they don't freeze, nice feel, $10-$12.

HT also has a pretty nice reel for $20...its the accucast...nice quality, nice drag, smooth.

i found some 10 ball bearing guide series in the bargain bin for $29 that were originally $49...they are pretty nice for the money.

i'm done with rods that need rubber bands or hockey tape...i'm phasing them out of my arsenal.

i'm done with rods that need rubber bands or hockey tape...i'm phasing them out of my arsenal.

Really?

I've been phasing out everthing with a reel seat. The old electrical tape on cork is way warmer on the fingers, and more customizable as to how you prefer to hold the rod.

Yes, but at least they manufacture (put together) these products in Minnesota or the USA. They may get a lot of the materials from over seas, but they hire people here in the states to manufacture the products. This is the only aspect I'm trying to express. JM rods are a great partner with HSO.com they have very good products. I can understand where your coming from... I also appreciate your input Harvey, I still want to try one of Jason's rods he does a lot for promoting the outdoors and HSO.com it is recognized fully. Thanks again, Josh G. smile

Has anyone had any experience with Thorne's new Hardwater series rods?

I saw them at the show and they looked like nice rods. My guess is they are real similar to the JM rods in blank sourcing and construction.

I picked up a Thorne rod though that I am going to give a workout on LOTW next week smile

Has anyone had any experience with Thorne's new Hardwater series rods?

I worked the Thorne booth at the NY show and we sold out of the Hardwater Noodle early on saturday. They are a very nice rod! An extreemly soft tip that flows nicely into a backbone. Not quite as fast as a JM Meatstick. Quality guides and cork, a sweet rod at a nice price. The other rods in the series are of the same quality...

I cant wait to get my hands on the new rod they will be produceing. TB should have the blanks soon...

Thorne bros make great ice rods. I got a power noodle and love it! Other great rods are the Dave genz select lightning rods by berkley (if you can find them). I have two of the selects and I love them to death! It is beyond me why they stopped making them.

I picked up a Hardwater 27" Noodle rod at the Ice Show this year. Only difference between it and other Thorne Bros. rods is that the blanks are made in China. Other then that, it's all the great quality expected from a Thorne Bros rod at a fraction of the price. I hope that they can do the same with some of their smaller finesse/sight fishing rods.

For the greatest overall quatlity in a rod, it's without a doubt the Thorne Bros rods. But, if you're after a great rod at a cheaper price, you can't beat the JM rods. I have 3 of his rods and they are all great, especially considering the price.