• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Favorite Ice Rods"

BuschPilot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading in the sponsor section of the site that Thorne Bros came out with a new series of rods. Similar to their custom rods, but made "offshore" instead.

$29 or something close to that.

I love my panfish and walleye sweatheart, and if they are even close to those it is money well spent.

The only downfall that I see is that they are made "offshore", I'll continue to try to buy American.

The St. Croix are muddy, and have their eyes on crooked. Even the Legend ice rods aren't nearly and light and sensitive. You're basically buying a spring bobber mount.

They are far superior rods, it is hard to describe without fishing one. They detect bites great, are perfect lengths, load up nicely, and are just works of art.

I have not used a Thorne Bros Rod, how would you describe them compared to the st croix's? Pros and Cons?

you can watch them make the rod if you want, here is a little info from the st.croix HSOforum.

Reign, Triumph, Premier Ice Rods - China

It says most of the legend edition rods are made in us, but I can't find the info on the legend ice rod...

Jason Mitchell offers a complete line oif very good ice rods. My favorite may be the Perch rod or the great meatstick.

Check out the Mitchell combo's as they are a great price with a nice smooth 3 bearing reel. The drag also seems pretty smooth.

I have numerous Thorne Bros rods and they are a very nice rod but I am just as happy with the Muitchell rods. They are also alot easier on the pocket book. They will catch one just as many fish.

http://jasonmitchellrods.com/ice.php

I have a JM Meatstick, and a Perch rod, all I can say is they are top quality for the money! I let my son use the Perch rod, now he wont use any other rod. He is 11, so for him to notice the difference in quality it is obvious over your everyday mass produced rod!

Thorne Bros. rods hands down... Hand made one at a time and are beautiful! The bites you never ever thought you would feel are a thing of the past with Thorne Bros. I also own St. Croix rods premiere and legend, they are decent, but not even in the same ball park! The Jason Mitchell rods look like they are in the same range as St. Croix's thus the price and also made in CHINA. I know a lot of folks like there JM rods, but once you go TB you never go back! Enough said.

In regards to the Mitchell rods being made in China, here is what the card states that comes with the rod.

Manufactured in China to the exacting specifications of Jason Mitchell Rod Company

From what I have been told from many vendors is that the majority of the rod blanks that are manufactures today come from China. Very good quality also.