• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lazer mag brand new having problems starting

keyks42

Question

I bought a brand new auger from Cabela's and I'm having a problem getting it to start. I cant even get the yellow compression switch to pop. I thought I would throw this out and see if anybody had any suggestions. I will be going over to strikemasters but would like to aviod this if possible. Any help would be apprieciated

Thanks

Mark

22 answers to this question

Really not enough information on this. Does it sputter? Is the engine extremely easy to pull over? Can you smell excess fuel? Any fuel coming out of the carb? Did you turn on the on/off switch? Is the vent open on the cap? On the initial start out of the box, you may need 10 to 20 pulls to get the fuel to the engine, or you may need as little as 5 pulls. If the vent on the fuel tank is not open, you can pull forever. Does the engine have a primer or choke, or both. The new epa engines have been coming off the production line with a primer instead of a choke.

Note: The de-compression button will normaly only come out after the engine fires. Pulling the engine over with the starter rope will not normaly return the de-compression button to run mode.

Hope this helps.

Harry

Note: The de-compression button will normaly only come out after the engine fires. Pulling the engine over with the starter rope will not normaly return the de-compression button to run mode.

Mine pops out with every pull. I have to push back in to pull the rope again.

Take it in. Tecumseh raised the compression a few years back on these little two horse motors to meet new emmissions standards. In turn they had to install the compression release so they would start easier. That button should pop out almost every pull. Sounds like it has poor compression for some reason. Get it replaced.

The purpose of the decompression button is to allow the engine to spin at a faster rate when there is no combustion in the engine. If your engine does not start, and there is no combustion, and the decompression buttons still pops out, does that really make sence?

If the engine is designed to start on high compression only, would the manufacturer of the engine installed a decompression button to make the engine easier to start?

Easy test. Try to start the engine with the button compressed, then try to start with the button in the normal run mode. Is there any difference in the effort needed to spin the engine over? If there is no difference, then you have a compression problem. If there is a noticable difference, then you do not have a compression problem.

Have you tested to see if there is any spark at the spark plug? If not, remove the plug, install the plug in the primary wire, ground the plug on the engine and then pull the starter cord. Look for spark. If there is no spark, flip the on/off switch to the other position, and see if you have spark. If you have spark, and the engine does not start, then you have a fuel problem. Also, while the spark plug is out, check to see if the plug is wet or fouled.

As there is so many small engine mechanics on this site that think they know the answer with out evaluating the problem, please let us all know what you find out the problem is when the problem is corrected.

Harry

Several years ago I bought a new Strikemaster and had problems getting it to start. I couldn't take it back because the store was closed for Christmas day. My neighbor who is a motorhead looked at it and found the spark plug gap was almost closed. He said the factory probably put too much torque on the plug and it was hitting the piston. The unit ran fine after we re-gapped the plug. It might be worth checking it.

Just passing on aquired knowlege from Tecumseh and experience. If it makes sense or not that is how every 2hp 2stroke Tecumseh I've sold or repaired has worked. EPA set the new regulations on idle emmissions about 4 years ago causing the change. That's the info I have. Sorry if I upset anyone.

make sure the on switch is actually on there is a little point on the bottom of the switch pointing to on or off, it took me a couple days to find that one out so i had it off everytime i was triying to start it i felt like an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly

"make sure the on switch is actually on there is a little point on the bottom of the switch pointing to on or off, it took me a couple days to find that one out so i had it off everytime i was triying to start it i felt like an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly"

I did the same thing...

I don't want to hijack keyks42's thread but I'm having a similar problem with my lazer mag. It is one year old and I stored it properly at the end of last season. I just emptied the fuel and put fresh gas and a new spark plug in tonight and it won't start. I put the engine on choke and press the compression button in and pull and the engine fires so I move the engine to run. When I pull with the engine on run it will pop and then quit running. It seems like the engine isn't getting fuel once I turn it to run. Anybody have any suggestions? I was thinking that the carb might be gummed up? Thanks for your help in advance.

How quickly are you moving the lever to run? When mine hasn't run, I have to move the lever up little by little in order to keep it running. It takes a minute or two. After it's been run I don't have to do it that way anymore.

Thanks guys for all the imput. Since I live close to strikemaster I'm going to bring it in and have them start the thing in front of me. If they get it to start right alway then I guess I'm the idoit. When you buy something brand new you just want it to work right so hopefully it isn't something they have to fix then I might be a little disappointed in the product. I've had a Jiffy for about 8 years that probable 20 years old and have had no issues but wanted to go with a lighter auger.

I'll let you know

Mark

Strikemaster will take care of you, that's one thing for sure. The smaller Jiffy's have the same motor so I'm sure they're the same way as far as starting. The newer 2 hp power heads are alot harder starting than the old ones that's for sure.

Strike master will not always take care of you i bought a new lazer mag and threw a blade the first month dont know where it went they said i should have checked to make sure the bolts were tight so if you buy new check this before running. I have not yet replaced this blade and this auger still cuts better with onet than my old auger.

Went to strikemaster today and asked the service tech if he would start my auger, after 3 pulls he couldn't get it to start and said something is wrong. He replaced the carb., since 2004 they had problems with them running to lean because of the emmision test on them. It took him 5 minutes to replace and know the auger runs great. Still haven't cut a hole with it but I'm looking forward to it. Again I would like to thank everybody with there suggestions and hopefully this thread will help anybody else that has the same problem.

Mark