• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Pull Start Question??

SapperACE

I own a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 450. I like the machine, and the reason I bought it was because I had a 2000 Sportsman 500 that was bulletproof. My question is...My 2000 Sportsman would start with the pull starter when the battery was dead. In fact, the battery went bad at one point, and I continued to use the machine for about 2 years by just pull starting it every time. I would just pull out the choke, and it would usually start in 1 pull. When the battery goes dead on my 2007 Sportsman, it will not start with the pull starter. It seems like it needs there to be SOME power for it to fire or for the ignition to work. It is not fuel injected, and neither was my 2000. Was there a change in the way the machines work electrically at some point? A pull starter seems kind of pointless to me if it won't start the machine when the battery is dead.

Every machine is different and starts different, especially with carbs. We had two 2001 Xplorer 400's that were both the same and purchased very near the same time. One started and ran way better than the other since new. Just happens. I had a 2002 Kawi 650 and a 2006 brute 750. Both essentially the same thing, but the 750 always started better, and using less battery power.

There may be something new on your 2007 that I don't know of, but that's my thought on it.

Keep the batteries up and use the electric start. Otherwise the starters just rust up and become worthless. A starter is $130. A battery tender is $30, plus saves alot of headaches.

its on 07 and ur battery is going dead already? my bro has an 01 sportsman and it has the original battery and hasnt died once yet!!!........is the on/off switch on the left handlebar in the ON position...i know it sounds stupid...but ive seen it happen a million times!

If you used your wheeler with a dead battery for 2 years and didn't blow out your lights count your blessings. 2 brothers and a friend blew out every light because they were too cheap to get a new battery. Don't quote me on this as I am not a mechanic or electrician but my BIL is. He said the bad battery offers some resistance to the system from being overcharged but eventually it will no longer do that and when you start it the system will blow out all your lights including the AWD button. It is a huge pain to replace all those bulbs not to mention you will need a battery anyway. Get a Battery Tender and you won't regret it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I just bought a battery tender which I'm gonna use on the harley in the winter, and the quad in the summer. The winter is when the ATV gets the most use for plowing and ice fishing and I havn't had any problems in the winter. I'm just worried about those overnight ice fishing adventures when its bitter cold and the starter won't crank it. I want to have the security of knowing I can pull it if I have to.

I carry some small jumper cables in mine. My Sportsman 700 doesn't have a rope starter. If it did I couldn't pull it over anyway. Can usually find somebody to give you a boost. I would hook the battery tender up to the wheeler in the winter too. Especially if you're not using it for a couple weeks.