• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reflectix

M1Tanker

I found out about condensation in my new Frabill Recon DLX this weekend.

Looks like folks have used reflectix aluminum foil bubble wrap to reduce the effects.

I was thinking of buying some for the roof of my shack.

Question...other than running it between the roof and poles, would I be able to tape the edges with the aluminum foil tape and have it stick to the tent even in cold weather? Any experience using it?

Dont tape it to your house. Just run it on the top of the house over the poles and under the canvas. Cut slits for velcro to go through. You may need 2 pieces to run from the top of the back window to above the front door. Join the 2 pieces together with the foil duck tape or whatever it is.

Works great but you will get some condensation on the reflectex at times. Moisture is just a by product of burning propane. Cant get around it unless you run a fan above your house.

I fitted my Yukon with this stuff last season and couldn't be happier. It keeps it warmer longer and bounces light like crazy..making it very bright. I have had no problems getting my portable to fold up nice and flat. I wouldn't glue or tape it either...just do as the other poster said, between the poles and canvas and cut slits for the Velcro and you are set. Good luck.

Cliffy

It takes up a little extra room but after you have it on a while it seems to crease in the pole area nicely. Yes it will reflect light and keep the heat in better. I noticed a difference. I have to go get some more for my new house.

I think its for sure worth the cost. Really no weight added that you would ever notice.

I just did two Otter magnum lodges with one roll of 48" wide insulation.. I cut it 73" long and then taped two pieces together with duct tape. If you place the taped seam centered on the highest pole, the insulation would extend about 4" below the top zipper seam in the front and right above the rear window on the back. I just used a scissors to cut around the same line as the zipper and it works slick! It does fold nicely with the canvas and doesn't impact the operation/folding at all. Find a friend and split the cost unless you have two sleds.

Scrap reflectix... FWIW, I took a piece of leftover reflectix and put it in the bottom of my otter medium cabin tub. It keeps things just lifted enough to keep out of any potential water in the tub, and it also lightens up the tub, so easier to see things in the bottom. It also adds just a bit of "cush" so things have a hint of suspension under them wink

I.e. no more tent poles frozen to the bottom of the channels, etc.

I hat to admit it, but I haven't been ice fishing yet to test my new reflectix installation. A couple things came to mind as I read through the posts. First, when I described the method I used for my Otter Magnum, if you cut two pieces 73" long, tape the LONG edges together. I don't want to have someone taking my name in vain!! The magnum is about 70-72" long but the 73" seems to fit perfect and holds it tight. Also, has anyone experimented with SIDE panels? I didn't see how it could work with the folding necessary, but it occurred to me that you could create removable panels that could be placed temporarily with 's' hooks or something like that. You could just lay them in the bottom of the sled for storage. I'm probably too cheap to buy another package, but if someone tries it, let us know how it works.