Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chasineyes

God it's Expensive Here

45 posts in this topic

I just realized this morning that it's very expensive to live here. Snowplows, sand, salt, heating cost, cost to provide clothing, cost to vehicles etc.,. Could this be a reason that the UAW is justified in asking for more money for their members? If you look at a company like Honda in Alabama, I bet they have a fraction of the taxes (if not any taxes due to the ability to lure them in", no "winter" costs to contend with, and their able to garner a cheaper workforce by pure demographics. So I guess that it would be hard for the "northern" plants and unions to compete with that? I guess what I'm trying to say is people who live and work in the northern regions deserve to get paid more because it simply costs more to live here. And one other thing...becuase were tough damm workers. Let's face it, who else would go out and swing hammers, weld steel, etc., outside on a day when the temp doesn't reach 0.

Very true.

As long as we are ranting, I will add with my own rants.

We work construction. When it snows or it's very cold like now, it's real tough to work. This is perfect opportunity for people like us to snow plow. The problem is....EVERYBODY and their brother is out snowplowing! Most of them have their 9-5 job! On top of that, most of them are snowplowing with no insurance!

Ok, that's enough. wink

Yep, it's spendy, but worth it. I'd rather fight the cold than live with rats, snakes, roaches, and scorpions.

Having lived in places like Florida, South Carolina and Mississippi while in the Navy...I'll take two months of bitter cold over three months of suffocating heat and humidity.

Very true.

As long as we are ranting, I will add with my own rants.

We work construction. When it snows or it's very cold like now, it's real tough to work. This is perfect opportunity for people like us to snow plow. The problem is....EVERYBODY and their brother is out snowplowing! Most of them have their 9-5 job! On top of that, most of them are snowplowing with no insurance!

Ok, that's enough. wink

Yep, it's spendy, but worth it. I'd rather fight the cold than live with rats, snakes, roaches, and scorpions.

C'mon Roofer you really don't think that contactors should be the only ones doing snow removal do ya? Granted you are in a good position to do so having all the trucks and equipment, but you can't expect "9-5er's" not to try to get into the business a little. Doing snow removal is a great way to start up a business. I agree though that everyone should be required to have the proper insurance.

Well, 9-5 er's have their job. Pretty soon they may be slacking at that job because they are out all night plowing. I can't blame someone for trying to make a buck, but most of these small businesses are tax write offs. Not all, but most.

The worst part is that they don't have insurance and can do things cheaper than others who are actually doing things right.

Just say there is a guy who has been struggling for years trying to plow snow. This is his only source of income in the winter months. Now, he finally has snow, but there are other weekend warriors stealing his work.

We don't have plows just for this reason. Too much competition for the cheapest price because some take advantage. It's easy to make a few bucks when a person already has a steady income.

It's not much different than me selling bottles of beer out of my garage for $1 instead of $4.

How is that any different than China doing the Manufacturing jobs cheaper? Or India doing the IT jobs cheaper? Fact is the lowest price always wins. Is it fair, [PoorWordUsage] no. But this is the society we live in. Personally I haven't met a contractor I would trust with 1$ much less 10's of thousands for a major project. That is why I am a do-it-yourselfer, and yes help out others than may need some direction for their projects.

You make some good points. I plow snow and have a 9-5, and I try not to slack at either one. It is easy to make a few bucks and be a weekend warrior about it but if you're going to make it year after year and keep clients happy you have to be on top of your game. If people can do that, keep proper insurance there's nothing wrong with charging less than a place that has too much overhead to charge the same.

It isn't much different than selling beer out your garage. As long as you have the right insurances and licenses and can still charge 1$ go for it. In fact I'll see you there.

I agree that some people take advantage and don't keep insurance. It's really up to the people hiring them to make sure they do. It's better to find out up front then after your car is dented and your garage has a hole in it.

We are required to carry automobile liability insurance but where is it stated that we are required to carry liability insurance just because we are in business?

While it might be really stupid not to have the protection, it looks more like you are ranting because you can't compete.

Bob

For snowplowing there is a separate liability insurance that covers your customers for property damage. A buddy of mine found out the hard way.

I don't snowplow and really don't have a desire to.

Can't blame chasineyes for his attitude. There are plenty of crooked contractors out there. Like I said before though, you haven't seen the things from my point of view that some people do to themselves or others on DIY projects.

bjjamms, good for you. Like I said, I can't blame a guy for trying to make money, and working on a level playing field.

We are required to carry automobile liability insurance but where is it stated that we are required to carry liability insurance just because we are in business?

While it might be really stupid not to have the protection, it looks more like you are ranting because you can't compete.

Bob

It's not stated anywhere that I know of. Check with your insurance company you might not be covered if you wreck something while you're plowing with your vehicle. Like Roofer's friend who found out the hard way.

I must have misconveyed my message because I have no issues at all competing.

If you have a business and you cant get/keep customers for what ever reason you go out of business. Business 101. If you cant compete, dont blame others.

I don't snowplow and really don't have a desire to.

I don't blame you for that. 2 days ago I was outside doing a little shoveling at 3 am in -30 windchill and I kept thinking to myself what the heck am I doing out here. grin

You been getting any snow miles on the XP?

Any business where you are being paid for a service, you are required by law to have a liability insurance policy. If you do it for free, then you are in the clear for the most part. I doubt most of the weekenders who plow, are even set up legally for a business.

Bjjams, not much on the XP. It's been pretty cold out. I will say that the tires are not very good for the snow or anything besides dry trails.

Any business where you are being paid for a service, you are required by law to have a liability insurance policy. If you do it for free, then you are in the clear for the most part. I doubt most of the weekenders who plow, are even set up legally for a business.

Bjjams, not much on the XP. It's been pretty cold out. I will say that the tires are not very good for the snow or anything besides dry trails.

I don't or didn't know that insurance was required. If this is true, then a simple phone call to the appropriate authorities might be in order as this person is in business illegally.

Bob

Bob I believe that insurance is to cover everything in a const.buss.not just plowing

I at one time had to have it, not only to go by the law but mostly to protect my meager assets,being a buss.

Private contracters with no employees I believe is different.They may choose the risk.

Call your insurance person or even look it up online at progressive or something. Separate policy for snowplowing.

We have liabilty for construction which is also separate. Also have no employees, but it's still required.

That brings up how much insurance companies control us!Thay get laws passed its mandatory! look at auto ins.It irks me I insure two vechiles,one gets about 20-25 thou a year the other sits only use it for camping with a camper,or if I have to haul something less than 3000 a year but the manditory ins. is more than a newer car thats used almost daily?

I've changed insurers<Called and wanted ins as miles driven,get a reply its not available in Mn. The state is working on it!!!

DISCUSTING!!! Matbe I should drive without Ins.For those few trips!

Quote:
That brings up how much insurance companies control us!Thay get laws passed its mandatory! look at auto ins.It irks me I insure two vechiles,one gets about 20-25 thou a year the other sits only use it for camping with a camper,or if I have to haul something less than 3000 a year but the manditory ins. is more than a newer car thats used almost daily?

That was passed years ago because people were driving without ins and the MN govt decided everyone needed at least liability ins. Costs went up about 25% immediately, they had a captive audience. Don't blame the ins companies for the law, they didn't pass it, blame your legislators, the enacted the dang thing.

If the law wouldn't have passed it wouldn't have went up that dramatically. Every action has a reaction.

Ya thats right but the ins. co. sure took advantage of extra profits immediately.With the legislative OK. I guess cause for them to set limits is off limits for free enterprize.

Oh well we soon should be partial owners of most every BIG BUCK MAKIN bussisnesses and some auto makin co.s soon.I wonder if they'll listen to our input then HaHaHa