• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where would you start on this lake?

jaymevb

Quote:
Problem was others saw us out there and quickly figured it out.

Yep, we hit the above spot I mentioned one day, right before dark. About 20 minutes after we got their, a couple guys must have seen use and decided to head out. I felt bad for them, because the shore line (even in very cold temps and a long winter) was a basically a maze/path threw cattails, around thin ice from springs that you had to follow to the "T" to get out to safe ice. These guys just came threw a bad part and both of them fell in up to their hips in muck, with some of their gear I am sure, being lost to the mud gods grin. They got them selves out quick and I never seen them again. I had some video up a couple weeks back from this body of water, where we commented on this happing.

I would be careful on your path going out also smile.

"this is a 200 acre lake in the BWCA, max depth is 10 ft, water clarity of about 3 feet, and it has perch, northern, and white suckers. where would you start for walleyes?"

Now if I read this correctly, and walleye is your target species...than given the description of the lakes known species...My answer would be...fish another lake for walleye as there is none in this one. Because you didn't list walleye as a species in the lake in question.

Is this possibly a trick question? confused

This past summer I was up in Grand Marais. Never had been there before. My wifes grandparents from Florida have a summer cabin on Devil Track. We fished it for a few days and then I decided to grab the canoe and I drove down some logging trails and roads and I found some lake off the beatin path. I went out for a few hours and I had the greatest fishing day of my life. I feel sometimes fishing is more about the chase than the catch. Especially up in that part of God's Country where there are literally thousands of lakes. Best of luck.

Where would the sport of fishing be without a few guys willing to try a few things that hadn't been done before.

Personally I would take more satisfaction in going to a small unfished lake like this and pulling out a few small fish then I would if I went to Mille Lacs and caught a 30 incher. But thats just me. Uncharted territory always has a certain appeal.

I say go give it a shot and fish the heck out of it. If you catch something come back and brag about it. If you get skunked blame it on the weather grin.

FYI-a quick tip for a hand auger. Have one guy supply the downward pressure on the top of the auger and have one guy turn the handle. A team effort makes short work of it and it allows you to drill more holes.

Good Luck

lol i got your post...u were just saying them other species were in there along with walleyes.

sometimes on small shallow lake the late night bite is real good...i'd definatly try fishing a shallow lake like that at night...like when they go into the rocks to feed or cruise the basin feeding.

I would hit the deeper side of the mud/sand transition in the middle of the lake.

In a small shallow lake in the b-dub the fish are going to key in the largest deepwater spot in the lake for lack of oxygen under the ice. That mud/sand transition will give you the best shot at finding them concentrated. Muck has the bloodworms/small squirmy stuff that the small suckers and perch will be feeding on and the 'eyes will follow suit. The transition to sand would be the concentrating spot that I would try.

The transition to boulders would be secondary. Not much food for the baitfish on bare rocks in the winter.