• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where would you start on this lake?

jaymevb

200 acre is not a very big lake. So, you have the ability to do a lot of moving around if you arn't getting results.

If it were me, I'd start at what looks like the north/northwest side in the weeds. Weeds are always a good thing. Maybe try using tip-ups as you stated there are pike in the lake also.

If this doesn't get results I'd go to the muck/sand/boulder transitional area in the middle of the lake.

If this doesn't work, seeing it's only 200 acres, I'd fill the auger full of gas and start drilling all over the place. Work a hole for 3-5 minutes. If no luck, start moving around.

Good luck.

10ft seems like a really shallow lake for the BWCA. The Pike are going to relate to the weeds no doubt and most "Northern" Walleyes relate to rocks or hard bottom. There's a good chance the fish will be in the deepest water with a max depth of only 10ft (depending on time of day and time of year).

If I was pinned down to a certain spot, I would concentrate on the sand flat, especially where it transitions to the muck.

*edit

LOL at Guru....we think alike

If it were me I'd focus on transition areas in the deeper sections of the lake. For instance there appears to be a boulder and a larger sand area either in or near the lake's basin. Add that these midlake areas are in close proximity to each other would also direct me there.

But to be honest, unless the walleye population is significant you'd be better served to better to look for a lake with more traditional structure. Reason being that in lakes like this I've found the walleyes to be very nomadic cruising much the the "featureless" areas of the lake in search of food. Without a power auger it'll be a lot of work trying to track them down.

the fisheries manager recommended this lake for ice fishing and i'm willing to trust him since i don't know who would have a better idea. it hasn't been surveyed since 1993, but there were 18 walleye per gill net that were naturally reproduced. if it's even half that today that's pretty decent. it sounds like the middle rock piles/sand transition are a good place to start and then see what happens from there. we'll probably spread a few tip ups around to improve our odds and see what happens.

also, where it says boulders, everything shaded like that is boulders, which is the majority of the outside of the lake.

hopefully we're young enough to drill enough holes without a heart attack and stubborn enough to find them. i'll post how i do when we get back. i probably won't go back there anytime soon so i've got no secrets to hide.

Well that's the missing piece of info. At 18 eyes per lift it would be worth a short. At 9 a lift...well you'll find lots of lakes with higher densities. But given the fisheries manager recommending it I'd give it a look.

Good Luck!

If the DNR doesnt list walleyes I would go elsewhere. At 10' max you arent going to catch many nice eyes anyways. Especially if there is a good population of pike.

If you insist on fishing it for eyes I would find where the rock to gravel to muck areas are and fish them. Especially if they are by the 10' of water.

Be quiet because them small shallow lake fish can be spooky. The good ice and snow cover you will have up there should help that though.

Good luck and tel us how it went.

big wade and jari, please read the rest of the posts and give me a little credit even if i am from iowa:) if i had enough intelligence to find surveys, label lake maps, and talk to the DNR, i would sure hope i knew if walleye were in there! that list was what existed BESIDES walleye.

i'm a little wary of the last survey being 15 years ago but i don't have any other options but to trust the fisheries guy in grand marais. unless someone is willing to share some real hot insider information smile someone actually did but it was not where the hikers wanted to go.

we're just looking for some action and a few eaters, nothin crazy. for the rest of you, thanks for the advice!

I try to stay near the deeper water (10ft i guess) around the transition and especially the boulder areas...does not look like to much deep water to fish and in smaller lakes like that it seems that walleyes kinda roam the lake so I would sit quietly in one spot during the morning and evening hours for sure

Good LUck

jaymevb,

suggesting to try another lake is no disrespect to your scouting. A lake such as this is highly susceptible to winterkill. Especially being so far North. One bad winter, and a large population of fish are wiped out.

Having said that.....

Many of honey holes have been found by going out of your way and giving it a shot.

It's a high risk/high reward situation.

Good Luck, and please report back!

DTRO said:

"Many of honey holes have been found by going out of your way and giving it a shot.

It's a high risk/high reward situation.

Good Luck, and please report back!"

For sure. Surface Tension and I stummbed across a small Gem a few years back and found some very nice walleyes in a small little lake. Problem was others saw us out there and quickly figured it out. I still may hit that gem again this year.

Pretty much all the starting spots have been posted. If I where you, I would just go out and give her the "Hail Marry" and see what happens.

I would say it is a little discouraging (for walleyes) not seeing any larger to medium tributaries, but that might not be an issue. Natural springs can be a big factor also.

All you can do is give it the old college try and see what happens. I would give this lake at least 2-3 trips and if the action you wanted is not their, start looking else where’s.

I gave a local slue (we call it a drainage ditch wink ) a try last year (never seen anyone on it) and on my first trip we got some smaller crappies right out in the center (max depth hole 8‘). The next couple trips produced larger crappies, northerns, perch, rock bass and one nice 18-19” walleye. It does have a feeder creek running threw it (fed by other lakes miles away), but up north that may not matter.

God luck and let us know how it goes.