• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Search and destroy

Eric Wettschreck

This past weekend myself and a few good friends took a trip "Up Nort." We went to a lake none of us has ever been to before, and collectively we knew absolutely nothing about this lake. We pulled out the lake map and took a look. It's a small lake with quite a bit of good structure. Pilings, holes, islands, etc. We decided on a spot and went with it.

We drilled a bunch of holes and started hopping with the LX-5's. Have you ever had a gut feeling you were on the fish, but the flasher wasn't telling you anything? That's the situation we were in. Somehow we just knew we were in a good spot, but I was having a lot of difficulty marking fish, let alone getting anything to bite. I'd jig, mark a fish, lift it, and no bite. I'd jig, no mark, move, jig, move, jig, move, etc. Yous guys know the drill. Deep down we knew we were in a great spot, just doing the wrong thing.

I tied on a flutter jig and what a difference. Jig, mark fish, lift, get a bite. I could sit here and tell you the story until I'm blue in the face, but in my mind a picture tells a thousand words.

My first crappie using the flutter jig.

Crappie3.jpg

They work for perch too!!!!

crappie2.jpg

Got into a whole bunch of these bad boys.

2008_1214_173352.jpg

The cool thing was the way the Flutter jig brought fish in, and once in the lookers became biters. This was my very first time using this jig and with the results I had, I'm sold. The thing about this jig that really sparked my interest is that it's small enough for the "Light biters" to suck the whole jig into their mouth, but the hook is big enough to get a really solid hook set. It's not the small jig/small hook combo. If you know in your gut you're in the right spot, but just can't get the fish to come in, or commit once they are in, give the Outdoor Pro Series Flutter jig a try. You'll be glad you did. I know I am.

ops-flutter-spin.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were using all kind of different combos.

I went with the patriotic flavor. 1 Red/1 White/1 Blue Eurolarvae. Borch went with the Viking theme and used a Purple/Chartruese jig with a White Ratso (no meat).

I think Boilerguy went with a lime green jig and waxie.

Fun to experiment.

hey boilerguy, your from pretty far from down south, so up nort could be anywhere nort of bloomington eh? grinlaughwhistlecrazy ok so how far nort. grinlaugh sorry big guy couldnt refrian from the up nort thing. looks like ya all had good luck. i also like to go to a never fished it before lake and explore.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

You can only find the Outdoor Pro Series Flutter Jigs at the Outdoor Pro Store. There are jigs with the blades, which is the only thing close to it, out there but they are not the same.

The Outdoor Pro Series jigs come with the best hooks and you won't find a better finish on jigs anywhere. The glow and transluscent eyes are amazing. If you fish for Crappies, Perch, or sunfish you can't go wrong with these babies.

Here is a Pic of the Flutter Jigs:

ops-flutter-spin.jpg

what have you guys been tipping these with for meat??

Like Darren said I used plastics with mine. The white Rasto body as well as the Lindy Micro Minnow in glow chartruese. I'll post a pic of how I rigged the plastics as the crappies were slamming this setup with absolutely no live bait.

Originally Posted By: rocki
what have you guys been tipping these with for meat??

Like Darren said I used plastics with mine. The white Rasto body as well as the Lindy Micro Minnow in glow chartruese. I'll post a pic of how I rigged the plastics as the crappies were slamming this setup with absolutely no live bait.

Please do so. I have not fished with plastics much but would love to see how you guys rig with plastics! I will also put in an order!

Yeah, it was one of those deals where the faster you got your bait down, the more fish you caught. As I was fumbling around with my gloves and larvae rebaiting I'd always look up and glance over to see Borch's rod with a bend in it and hear giggling like a gradeschooler.

I just had to shake me head a chuckle. smile

No doubt about it, rigged and worked right, plastics will outfish the meat.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

The Outdoor Pro Series flutter jigs call them in and the meat or plastic seals the deal. The plastic is always easier to deal with but a lot of anglers need the meat confidence bait smile

Those were some nice crappies and a couple very nice gills as well, oh yes and boilerguys's perch.

It was satisfying going to a lake we'd never fished before and figuring it out on our own and popping very nice crappies and sunfish like that.

It was a very good time out there with some VERY GOOD ice fishermen.

Here is a pic of my cradling a nice crappie showing the purple Outdoor Pro Series flutter jig. Also notice the Jason Mitchell Meat Stick which really proved to work well with it's sensitive tip that day as the crappies were lightly sucking in the baits. No need for a spring bobber!

DSC00502.jpg

Below is how I typically rig plastics on the Outdoor Pro Series Flutter Jig. The Flutter jig on the far right with the chartruese Lindy Micro-Minno was the set up for me this weekend. The Micro-Minno is fast becoming one of my go to baits for crappies, perch and gills.

DSC00505.jpg

The bait of the far left with the white Ratso body was also very effective for me this weekend on crappies.

This weekend the crappies liked the plastics jigged aggressively and if they didn't hit it right away either hold the bait still until they couldn't stand it or do a slow lift until they hit it.

Like Borch, I too this weekend went with the plastics most of the time. I used the black with glow eye and black blades. I then tried numerous plastics to test the effectiveness. I really liket the action of a red ratso or for bigger shrimpo body. Borch and I described this effect with the flutter jig as the Vertical/Horizontal method. hehehehehe, you get he vertical presentation of the jig with half the body vertical and the tail coming off at a 90 degree angle with the finess wiggle of the tail still presenting horizontally. It worked awesome!