Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The_King48

Diesel

11 posts in this topic

Question for the pro's... I have a F250 and I plugged it in lastnight. I went to start it this morning and nothing. I had plenty of power and the glow plugs didn't stay on long. When I turned the key nothing. The batteries are fine and everything like that. Then this afternoon the same thing. Then after turning the key on and off 4 times it fired right up, just like this morning. I don't think its the starter because it just started to happen with this cold weather. Any thoughts?

Glow plug relay not working would be my guess! Take a test light and check for power at both big terminals on the glow plug relay within 30 seconds of turning the key on, both large terminals should have power.

Also what year and engine, I was assuming a 7.3

I would bring it in to get checked out, it may be as simple as a bad glow plug, or as in depth as a high pressure oil leak, to just a bad sensor. The one nice thing about the 6.0 is it has better diagnostics, and will set codes for many more things.

I had plenty of power and the glow plugs didn't stay on long. When I turned the key nothing.

Just to clarify, the starter did engage and crank? Or are you saying it didn't even crank?

A guy I work with has a 6.0 (not sure what year) and is taking his in too because it just cranks and doesn't fire when it get's just a little cold out, even with it plugged in he said. Today, forget it. He said they went through the filters but that did nothing to fix the issue.

Originally Posted By: The_King48
I had plenty of power and the glow plugs didn't stay on long. When I turned the key nothing.

Just to clarify, the starter did engage and crank? Or are you saying it didn't even crank?

Good point! I was assuming that it cranked!

NO it doesn't crank.... Could it be a connection with the starter?

I would check the connections at the starter, check for power going down to it while turning the key.

At these temps, the grease in the starter, selonoid/drive gets real stiff and won't let the selonoid engage the drive which also delivers the power to the starter motor. By cycling the key you basically shook it into the operating position. Taking the starter down and giving it a medium shot of penatrant helps but won't solve it. Don't drench the starter motor as most penatrating oil is flamable. A shot in the drive should do it.