• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail camera question

Jake19

I am looking for advise as to what kind of trail camera to purchase. Looking to use it around the deer feeder and for scouting for bowhunting. Not looking to spend a ton but don't want to buy junk either. Do I want one with a viewfinder? What about battery life and night pictures?

I am new to this obviously, just looking for a little guidance.

Thanks

I would recomend a stealth o cam modle I550. I have one right now and it works great for placing by the feeder in the winter and scouting for bow season. It has always taken great pictures and the best part is it takes a memory card. So I just take a spare out to the woods and swap out chips and put the full one in my computer to view them. They also have a hand held veiwer to carry in the field with you. Last year I got mine at fleet farm and the viewer came with it. I would say look around for deals i know on cableas has some promotions out.

I've HEARD that Scout Guard and Reconyx are great cams. I've used Cuddeback No Flashs' for the past year and am overall satisfied. The new Captures are finally available and the trigger speed is very fast. For the money, might not be a bad option. Moultrie's are excellent on battery life, but the trigger speeds are lacking behind other mfg's.

If you want to set one up over a feeder where you don't need a fast trigger, I'd say a Moultrie D40 or I40 depending on whether you want a flash or IR would suit you fine and friendly on the checkbook. Check out the site chasin game dot com for some good research as well.

Like with anything else, you get what you pay for.