• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Antler mounting

I think there is a previous posting about this...I cut the antlers off a deer I shot, what is the best way to get the remainder of the skin/hair off the base of the antlers. Do you clean the antlers with anything or put a sealer on them?

Thanks for any advice!

I just use a sharp knife and a pliers to cut the hide off the skull but you have to do it right away or the hide turns into leather. I don't do anything with the antlers unless there's blood to clean off.

As stated, just take a knife and skin all the hide/meat off of the skull plate. Easier if it's done as soon as possible before it dries up but still possible with a little more patience.

Maybe hit the skull plate with a torch or rub down in Borax. You can also wire brush or take a wire wheel on a side grinder to the skull plate.

After getting everything off I'll re-rub with borax (20 mule team borax you can find at the grocery store) and let sit for a month or so.

If you havne't done it yet, you can soak the skull plate in a bucket of water for a couple days if the hide has hardened and then you can pull/cut it off.

Once you get all the hide off and scrape as much of the meat/flesh off as you can, get your wifes/girlfriends/moms best cooking pot :), boil some water, pour in some baking soda, let simmer, and dunk the skull plate for about 20 minutes...all of the remaining flesh will be able to be scraped off with a knife/wire brush and then all you have left is the skull plate free of any flesh so no rotting takes place and the skull plate doesn't stink up your house.

With the antlers...you don't need to do anything to them unless you want to...if there is blood on them I'd wash that off since it will be a breeding ground for bacteria in your house if you leave it. Do not put any sealent on them....it makes them look all shiny which deer antlers usually are not.