• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing tip[ sections - cost?

Heartman

Stopped by Thorne Bros last week. Had three butt sections from highend graphite two-piece rods that had the tips broken into nonfixable pieces. Thinking they might have some leftover tips/ice rod blanks/etc laying around, I inquired about replacement tips. Not too much material on hand to fashion a new tip section - only one was able to be procured. This three foot piece of unsanded graphite blank fit, and although it was a different color than the Fenwick HMG brown, I said I'll take it.

Cost? $10 for a single piece. $10! I looked a bit flustered, and was told this is what they had to charge - this is what they paid for it. Guess I didn't have much to fall back on, so I paid the price and off I went.

I am troubled - I can buy similarly-sized, same quality graphite rod pieces here in Duluth for 2.50 a pice - maybe more on occasion. $10? Never, ever. Heck Elsie or Jim Kueten would give me the pieces I need for free sometimes. Scott out at Fisherman's Corner has them for maybe $5. Bad news for me is that there's nothing that would fit in the store at this time.

I'll keep buying up here - was disappointed with Thorne Bros, and although they make a nice rod, they sure do charge alot. Even for small pieces.

PS - I've been building rods for about 25 years now, and have been around the block a time or two on rod blanks and prices, factory, 2nd's, or blems.

What comes to my minds is where are the different stores getting their product, what are they selling and are the blems, 1sts, high modulus, etc. I can find junk on the web pretty cheap, you want something a little higher quality, you are gonna pay a bit more for it.