• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gearing up?

ikeslayer

So just wondering if everyone is hoping to get for christmas or gear that you know you will be purchasing this next year. I personally am looking to be a little smarter about what rods and gear i bring in the boat next year - last year i brought it all and it hardly fit in the locker and storage areas - this year i will bring what i need - only new gear i am hopeing for is to make a few rods before soft water.

So in light of a little conversation stimulous package here are a few question i would love to hear from youall:

1. Gear you hope for or will get before next bassin season and why

2. Gear you are getting rid of and why?

!!!!!Last one being a bit of a public service announcement and probably some debate:

3. What equipment is junk/bogus/gimmiky in your experience and you would reccommend people not to buy.

i will post up my opinions later!!! grin

1. New reels. Update a couple spinning and a few casting. Also, a 7'-6" crankbait rod.

2. Lures. I have too many that just take up space in a 3700. Nice to have just in case you need it, but let's be honest, they will never get used.

3. Haven't really found anything lately (last couple years) that isn't worth trying out. You never know! I just won't buy it unless I see an application for my style of fishing.

Already bought my own Christmas present. 7 ft Kistler Carolina Rig and 7'6" Kistler Flipping Stick. They are sweet rods. Looking to add a couple of Team Daiwa reels or Curados. Like them both. Also like the Cardiff's. Like to purchase some of the Catch 22 swimbaits as soon as they are out. Update plastic collection.

Sell off some of my older baitcasting rods to friends for the right price, just to keep them into fishing.

Don't know of any bogus baits. I am sure I have them, but they probably adorn the wall of my shed, still in their package. I, like everyone else, likes to buy new stuff, but still stay with the standard, go-to lures, i.e. jigs/twisters/worms.

#1: New Curado and All-Star ASR Jig rod

#2: I think I'll keep my stuff, maybe just re-organize everything before the season

#3: Banjo Minnow, Ive caught a few off them but I think there are better plastics that will have the same or better action, Maybe thats what I'll "Re-Organize"

#1 a new jigging rod and reel combo and a new finesse set up

#2 might sell of some of my cheap combos to some friends so i can afford some nice stuff

#3 i havent really used anything that was junk but i have bought stuff that has never made its way to the water though LOL!

#1 7ft MH crankbait rod (would love to pair it with a Revo Winch, but likely out of the budget)

#2 Sell off 6'6" Shimano Crucial TC4 (crankbait rod) medium action. Basically brand new, didn't use at all.

#3 Nothing really.

Dietz ... as your upgrading to the new Curado E-series reels, if you are getting rid of any Curado DSV300's, shoot me an e-mail. Need it for a Muskie setup. nclaker at gmail dot com.

I already went through and organized the entire boat and all the rods/reels in November. Has the ice melted yet???

1. Just bought 3 new reels. (Pflueger President and 2 Johnny Morris signature reels) I plan on a couple more rods in the $100-$150 range this winter. The only tackle I need is more line and some crawtubes.

2. I went through all my tackle and ditched anything rusty/beat up. I also gave away about 5 pounds of plastics that was just taking up space.

3. Too much to even say. Marketing in the fishing and marine industry is all about hooking us. About any lure can catch a fish, but if it looks gimmicky then it probably is.

HIya -

1.) A 7'6" ML-F St Croix Legend Elite spinning rod for casting grubs and jigworms for smallies. I have a couple rods for this already but I need another one because...well...you know. Those Legend Elites are really nice. Need a reel for it too. Probably stick with another Diawa Tournament SS 1600. The only Diawa reel I like, but they're apparently indestructible. I'll probably upgrade a couple baitcasting reels too. Another Revo or two, and probably a couple new Curados (I'm ecumenical when it comes to brands :)) I may try a Revo Winch as a crankbait reel, but it'll have to be pretty spectacular to get me to replace my Lews.

2.) Every off-season I go through my boxes and sort out what did and didn't get used, what needs to be replaced, and what I'm running low on. I make a shopping list based on that. Then I go through the experiments. I start each season with a couple small experiment boxes that I keep handy - either new lures or new techniques I want to try. During the off season I go through these boxes and pass judgment on all the new stuff. It either makes the grade and gets added to the regular boxes, goes back in the experiment box for more experimenting, or gets the axe altogether. The cast-offs will probably go on a garage sale someday. I do the same thing with my regular boxes - some stuff I just don't use much anymore, so if I haven't used it in a while, it'll get tossed. Ideally, between the new stuff coming in and the unused stuff leaving, it'd be a zero sum game, but it never seems to work that way. I get more [PoorWordUsage] every year - heh...

3. There aren't too many things out there that flat out don't work. You can catch something on anything if you try hard enough smile

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

1. I'm looking to get a St.Croix Avid 7'MH mod. casting rod for crankbaits and any other lures that may be applicable. I will pair this with either the new citica or the revo sx. I'm also looking at getting a St.Croix Avid 6'9" ML xfast spinning rod for dropshot and other finesse techniques. I will most likely pair this rod up with the new sahara or symetre spinning reel. I also need to get some gear for the boat such as rod sleeves, tackle boxes, extra trolling motor prop, extra fuses, spare tire cover, etc.

2.) I probably won't get rid of too much besides swapping out an older rod and reel for the new ones.

1. I'd like to get a few more Quantum baitcasters, maybe the Accurist PTs, as they are on sale now being last year's model. Also, I need the Spro Popper Frog...This bait will be crazy good for my pad game. I also want to try out some Tungsten weights and see if I notice a difference.

2. Won't be getting rid of much. I just need to clean out the box and throw garbage plastics that I have stuffed in every compartment.

3. Don't buy the flying lure....

#1 Maybe buy a couple of the new Citica/ Curado

#2 getting rid of about 2/3rds of my combo's, I sold the boat last year and what ever I fish out of I have no way to bring 15-20 rods with anymore so I am gonna get rid of some of the lesser used ones. Gonna keep a flipping stick, 7' mh Setyr, Setyr Cranking Stick, 7' m SPinning, 6'6" m SPinning 6' mh spinning, and a couple other baitcasters that I am not decided on yet!

1) I'm working on plans for a March bass fishing trip to the Lake Fork area in Wood County, Texas. I'm looking for some more bass gear, maybe a couple of the new Curados or the Abu Revos, a couple more rods in the Med F or XF range, and some bass lures, soft plastics and jigs, situation-specific terminal tackle, etc......

2) Looking to find a way to get away from multi-treble topwaters, as much as I love the Heddon Torpedos and such the two trebs are just not fish-friendly.

3) Those Boga grip things.....

1. Wife OK'd a boat purchase in September, and I need to get a trolling motor on it this spring. That'll probably be my only major purchase.

2. Perhaps an Abu 6500C3 or two because I have some better options in mind (these are kitty cat reels, though).

3. Nothing comes to mind, although now that it has been mentioned, I think I still have a set of Flying Lures somewhere that I should dig out and give a whirl again smile

1: Maybe a new boat, but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to sit with my boat now and store two boats. I gotta get some of those new curado's and of course my weekly purchases of tackle to feed my addiction.

2: A boat

3: Drop shot rig, japan can have that worthless invention!

Hey I try Deitz!

1. New reels. Update a couple spinning and a few casting. Also, a 7'-6" crankbait rod.

2. Lures. I have too many that just take up space in a 3700. Nice to have just in case you need it, but let's be honest, they will never get used.

3. Haven't really found anything lately (last couple years) that isn't worth trying out. You never know! I just won't buy it unless I see an application for my style of fishing.

I think they had some 7 1/2' MH Loomis crankbait rods at fleet farm from $70 off. This rod was made for lipless cranks, not sure if I liked it or not. I wish a guy could test drive a rod before he buys one.

I wish the same. Thinking about getting the VanDam Quantum rod. Not a Quantum rod fan but this might be the best 7-6 or 7-11 out there. Was the Loomis heavy enough to hadle a DT16 or a DD22?

I smiled a little bit on the Drop Shot hate as well.

Some great deals out there right now on boats!!

I have always liked fishing deep divers with a 7' med glass rod. You can really feel the "thump". I fish some on a MH, but with a rod like the loomis, you get a lighter rod but loose some of the "sloppiness" from the glass rod that makes fishing a deep crankbait a little easier. It's a trade-off as far as I'm concerned.