Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swany25

Cold weather bowhunting?

21 posts in this topic

Hey all,

It's going to be below zero all week and I still have not harvested a deer this year.

My questions is, when will deer move in this below zero weather. I'm willing to sit until i cant stand the cold, but would it be a waste of time.

I recently set up a stand along a heavely used trail between bedding area and a bean field.

Thanks

Chris

First off, don't hunt that stand until the wind is right, no sense in giving them a heads up, they can easily change trails or bedding areas. Late afternoon, that hour before sunset would be my preference, you always gain a few degrees during the day. If you hunt mornings, be in position early, because they're still spooked from the gun seasons, they don't dwaddle back to cover. Good luck.

The feeding areas should be dynamite till the end of the season. Plus the full moon is over, cold, and snow it should be pretty good where you are at.

Does anyone have any tips on keeping fingers warm because when i sit it seems like only my two index fingers get cold. Any ideas on how to keep them warm

I would suggest getting one of those around the waist big pockets (I'm sure thats the technical term for it :)) and put a hand warmer in it. These work great because you can keep your hands warm, and can shoot with bare hands when a shot presents itself.

Yep, use a muff. I just wear a light pair of gloves all season long and when it's really cold use handwarmers in the muff. Your fingers will not get cold doing this.

Sorry Winnie, didn't realize I copied your post, except with the correct name. smile

You might also consider using a screw-in bow hanger, so you don't have to hold on to your bow until you see deer.

Can be mighty hard to screw in the bow holder in these temps with frozen trees. I'm heading to the range to hunt some bullseyes! 70 degrees over there! smile

I was out last evening thought I'd stand 2 hours before sundown.. Jeeze I must be gettin old and have no blood circulation!! I froze out in 1/2 hour waited another 1/2 hour that took all day,Probably didnt think about how COLD it really was Brrrrrrr I made it 1 hour 15 min. thinkin how dumb i was thinkin its not that bad out there

Another thing that can buy you some extra time out in the woods is to take some disposable hand warmers and tape them to your shirt on your lower back right by your kidneys. They will warm the blood and help you stay out a little longer.

My ears & face freeze out,my fat keeps the rest of me warm.I cant stand to cover my ears out in the woods hunting or not! I hear more than I see.

It's supposed to be a balmy 5 on Friday and Saturday so my goal is 2 hrs on Saturday morning and 2 hrs Friday night. Hopefully I don't freeze out. I am the exact same way about covering my ears, but now with the snow you can't really here them walking anymore...I think I may try the hand warmers on my love handles deal. Sounds like a good idea.

My ears & face freeze out,my fat keeps the rest of me warm.I cant stand to cover my ears out in the woods hunting or not! I hear more than I see.

I alwasy wear a full facemask/head cover with another hat over the facemask, especially late season. I've never had any problem hearing. What your doing kind of sounds like torture.

Cut your sit down to an hour and a half and wear a neck gaiter. Keep your head warm. There's no crunching of leaves anymore, you'll be able to see them before you hear them in most cases.

Just got back from a week long bowhunt in ND. The warmest temps we saw were -5 below today with a -17 windchill. Hunted sat. and monday in -30 to -35...that was chilly! I wore a Cabela's Stand Hunter Mitt on my bow hand and Arctic Shield fold-over mitt on my shooting hand and a handwarmer in each never had a problem with the cold. Would have used the muff but forgot it at home - duh! The does were really bunched up, having groups of 4 to 12 come by me at a time. They spooked several times while I was trying to draw back with all of those eyes on me. Only saw a spike and a small 8 all week. Seemed the primetime for them to migrate to the fields was 3:45 to 4. Finally pegged 2 does on Thurs. night, within 9 minutes of each other.

The kicker was when we retrieved the trailcam before we left tonight and had several decent bucks and a nice 130"-ish buck on film. They were moving past the stand between 10:30 am and 1 p.m. - while we were at the cabin warming up and eating lunch!!

Good Luck!!

Your an extreme hunter to go out in them conditions! Good job on the does!

The thing that gets me is how noisy everything is. All of my equipment is colder and noisier.

I was really hoping to get out this weekend but i couldn't get down my road with the blizzard that just hit us