Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Caleb S

"Hot Bite" etiquette

27 posts in this topic

What do you consider the appropriate amount of information to share on this forum regarding the "hot bite" you are experiencing, especially when on a "smaller lake".

Name of lake?

Location on lake?

Depth?

Species?

Size of fish?

Number of fish?

Time of day?

Lure?

Rigging method, tips, etc?

Bait?

On this forum...

lake, depth, species, size, # of fish, time of day, lure, bait and riggin.

The lakes I fish are usually bigger. I dont have a problem saying the lake and everything else. I will not give my "honey hole" but have no problem telling depths (as long as it doesn't give away me spot).

Now if another FM'er wants to join up with me and fish, I will swear him to secrecy with a short ceremony with a bible, some holy water, and his mothers birth certificate. Then I have no problem sharing it all and showing my spots.

Got to be Minnesota nice!

Just what time you are going and where I can meet you at to tag along! smile

I haven't found a secret spot yet, so I only know the latter.

my question would be, does hot bite include keepers or just hot bite period?

Depends on how many people you want to share your spot with. I personally think that area(not lake) water depth, and lure presentation should be enough. If you go area forums maybe you can name lakes and such..

To be honest, I do like to read how people are catching fish. But dont really care what lake you are fishing.

These forums are about helping people and shareing the love of the ice!!!

I would say give out whatever info you want. If I'm on a bite, say in the summer, I will say I caught them out of the Bluffs, but I'm not going to give a specific spot. I'll say what I was using though. If it's a good sized lake I'll give the name, time and what I was using. If it's a small lake, I'll just leave the name of the lake out.

I have yet to go to a lake or spot because of a thread I read on FM.

I like to read the info and reports, but have yet to read a thread and say "I am going there this weekend".

I would report more, but hold to a code of honor set forth here at FM grin. It is not that I am worried about someone fishing a spot I like, but that it offends people to no end who read a report with lake’s name in it. I feel (9 times out of 10), if someone would read about a spot here on FM and head out to said spot, the chances of these people catching anything is slim. Most that do this are just starting out in ice fishing and are looking for some help.

For anybody on this site, I like to give them all the information I can....if they ask. Why not help a fellow fisherperson out? I don't create new posts on the hottest bite, but if people ask about a certain lake they want to try, I will try to get them in the right spot. I think the mindset of most outdoors men/women has changed, and they won't go to a spot and over harvest it. We need to keep the sport growing and alive as we are the one's who sustain it.

If you tell them one spot, why not tell them another so they have more than one place to go and fish.

Best of luck!!

I know it's greedy but.....

GPS coordinates would be absolutely, through the roof, you are my new best friend awesome!

GPS coordinates would be absolutely, through the roof, you are my new best friend awesome!

LOL!

N 44°46'29", W 93°47'4" grin

I hear its a great Bullhead spot!

I think the general area and the depth is specific enough. It won't hurt to reveal lure and bait choice either.

Quote:
N 44°46'29", W 93°47'4"

I hear its a great Bullhead spot!

To a summer time catfisherman, that is a gold mine.

That is the one thing I do not share on here, my bullhead honey holes grin That and my grouse haunts.

I agree Lunger. I've seen it happen too many times to smaller lakes. There are a lot of people that read these posts that are not FM'ers. And to assume all people that read these are honest good people is a touch ignorant. I would (If on a large enough lake tell without hesitation, type of lure, depth, species of fish, specific baits and techniques... on a small lake you are better off not saying a thing. It can devistate an entire ecosystem. Too high of Fishing pressure is one of the few causes of the peaks and deep vallys of population fluctuation in some of our smaller Eutropic lakes in central and southern Mn.

I agree don't name the smaller lakes. Keep it to yourself just mention area and technique let them email you if you want to give out more specifics.

It’s like the old saying between 3 friends. The only ones that can keep a secret between us is me and you, and I’m not so sure about you.

There is a way to tactfully share info without giving away every little bit. If you have a general knowledge of the area and read between the lines, it’s pretty easy to figure out though.

Having said that, most every so called secret is only a secret to you. Most likely others have come and gone without your knowledge.

Eventually any hot bite located near a population of fisherman will makes it’s way around. Just a matter of time. Internet message board or not.

It’s hard not to be upset when “your spot” is detailed out to the masses, but I say use it as an opportunity to educated about the benefits of selective harvest. What’s done is done. There’s no going back.

So I guess my opinion to the question is:

General Area

Depth

Time of day

Lures/Baits used.

But in the meantime try to keep an “oh well” mindset if the cat is let out of the bag.

There are so many lakes in this State and everyone can’t be everywhere. I was on a 700 acre lake this past weekend pulling bigger than average Crappies in one after another and never seen another fisherman all weekend.

dtro,

That looks like a nice lake you were on. I'm jealous.

Are you and Red Hanson going to the Bash this year?

To answer the question, larger lakes more info icluding name and location of lake and general area on it, smaller lakes a lot less info.

I don't fish near as much as most that post on here and look for any tips I can get. I have also tried some lakes because of what was posted on here. With limited fishing time it is nice to get help. I try and return that when I can.

I don't think it matters much one way or the other.

I think we all have met or brought people fishing with us that still can't catch fish when they are put on the spot with the right presentation.

Heck, many times a weekend later the spot that produced the week before won't work either.

The good information to be found here is often "what to look for" or take into account vs. where they were biting yesterday.

I took 7 Walleyes this year over 26 from one particular spot on a lake. There were many times there were no fish relating to it though.

The best fishing I had this year was on a spot I had never fished in the 12 years I have fished the lake.

The important stuff is get a good locator, learn to read it and understand how light, temperature, wind and forage affect the species you fish for.

Like many of you I keep a log of the trips I take and detail those specifics for later use.

I get as much fun out of the thought process that lead to finding them as I do from the actual catching or eating.

You'll be more productive and don't have to get so upset if someone is on "your" spot.

dtro, well said.

No "hot spot" can last forever. I've seen small lakes get overrun without word being breathed on the internet as far as I can see. And I've found a few by driving by some tiny lake & seeing a lonely bucket-sitter or portable & wondering what the heck they're doing out there.

I don't share my small lakes spots much anymore, here or with anyone I don't know as well as my sister. Big lakes, not so much, I'm not at all concerned about them being fished out.

There you go again! laugh

Really? offended by someone placing a bit to much detail on your secret spot. If someone slips out your spot it really wasn't much of a secret then. Take a look out on say Tonka and some one says they got some a week ago on Phelps bay. just a drive by and you can see where they are all gathered on that bay. That's no secret. Even if you detailed it to GPS. it's pretty obvious where everyone is in that area. I understand that's a BIG lake but when you narrow it down to a specific bay it's not. But on the other hand like I say a drive around the area and you can see where the spots are. Also as anyone who has traveled to that "great" destination knows the guide/resort/people around you are always going to tell you "You shoulda been here a week ago". So last weeks info is pretty much just a general statement anyway even if they put you right on their spot. It was good last week. So really calm down no one is really giving away your secret spot only you can or else it really wasn't a secret now was it.

Upon reaching the bar after a good day on the ice I happily give out detailed descriptions of hot bites on places I have never been to, with lures I have never used, in colors I would never own, at depths I am only guessing at. Disinformation is at least as important as Information when it comes to fishin'.

I'm sure the 256 guest currently "2:30am" on-line and viewing these forums are just here to learn how to tie a Palomar knot. wink

IMO when someone describes a hot bite on a small lake on the internet it only speeds up the process of spreading the word. These bites were found out by the masses way before the invention of the internet.

If you ever go into a bait shop and brag about your catch, you can bet that the bait shop owner is going to tell anyone who asks about it.

I have rarely ever went to a spot that I "heard" about and have it still be a good spot when I got there.