Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quetico

Effects of the econmy on pets?

12 posts in this topic

Ok am I the only who has notice an extremely high number of stray cats lately? It seems like there are 3 or 4 different tagless collarless strays in my yard every day.

Is the economy so bad where people are just throwing their cats out and letting them go? If thats the case take your pets to the shelters. If I could get close to any of these animals, I'd drop them off.

Now I am far from Eagan, but there have always been a huge amount of "ditch panthers" down near my place. I try to take care of them any time I have a gun in my hand.

It seems that ferrel cats do very well hunting and killing on their own, and are very hard on game and song bird populations.

Read that in the paper as well. The article said something about some of the owners who got caught claiming they had to make a choice between feeding their kids or the horses. Part of the problem as we discussed at the training table one morning is there is no longer any horse slaughter here in the US. There is in Mexico and Canada I believe and there has been talk of some starting on one or more of the Indian reservations in SD, but as of right now, none on US soil. However, turning something like a horse loose is not only unfair to the horse it's downright dangerous. And while I understand the problem if there has been a loss of income or some other hardship, if you look hard enough there is usually someone who will take a free horse if it's not already on it's way to the glue factory. Sounds like some people taking the easy way out before exhausting all the alternatives. Not a lawyer but would seem if the horse one turned loose was involved in an accident with an automobile where human injuries or fatalities resulted and you were proven to be the owner of the horse, the hardship you're facing might've only begun when you turned it loose. Jackpine, Lawdog or any other legal types have an opinion on this?

I agree in principle with you Dotch, but the reality would probably be somewhat different.

If someone has fallen on such hard times that they let their critters roam freely, and then someone hits one of those critters leading to death or maiming, not much would happen. The problem here is that we're probably not talking about a criminal matter - but a civil matter.

If you're poor, no one usually bothers to sue. Like beating a dead horse, there's not much to be gained by suing someone who doesn't have much.

That said, there are almost always alternatives to leaving a domesticated critter out to fend for itself. Its just plain wrong.

Yeah once animals become dependent on people for food its tough to get them to fend for themselves.

If someone has fallen on such hard times that they let their critters roam freely, and then someone hits one of those critters leading to death or maiming, not much would happen. The problem here is that we're probably not talking about a criminal matter - but a civil matter.

If your pet, horse, cow, ect. runs into the street and causes an accident, you most definitely can be sued for damages and injuries.

Not only is there no longer horse slaughter in the US, but it may become a federal offense to transport a horse to Mexico or Canada with the intent of sending that animal to slaughter.

There are animal shelters and rescue organizations who are full because the families cannot take care of their pets anymore. The dogs and cats are the first to go when it comes to getting rid of "things".

feral cats are a problem because someone lets one of them go.... and they start reproducing and all the sudden there are 10 cats running around. When I used to live In Wyoming, I would shoot them on sight. Here in the north metro that is a little trickier to do.

The same goes for dogs my dad just took in A yellow lab some as---le left on the road.

I was looking at some humane society websites, looking to adopt another dog at some point. The cost to adopt a pet in Sioux Falls runs about $200. I could buy a puppy from a breeder around here for about the same, sometimes less.

To me, the high price of the adoption would deter someone from going to the humane society to get their next dog.