• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fished Lake Gogebic Yesterday

I guess the eyes are on fire in the shallows, lots of fish being caught. Typical LG eyes, 15-18 inches. I fished by the Lodge on Saturday for 2hrs, marked a ton of fish but only a few takers. I did manage 4 perch from 11-12.5 inches I think they were all males (no bellies), they were supposed to be photoed but of course my batteries were dead in the camera and I let them swim. I will be heading out next weekend to a spot that was hot last Winter so we will see. I will also bring extra batteries...

The ice is good where I was at it was about 8 inches of nice BLACK ice. But tonight's snow will not help at all.

My buddy and I might be making a trip up there just not sure when. Is there ever a hot bite for the perchies? I know here in MN the month of March can be fast and furious if you find them. When is the best month to come up there? We will have a snowmobile to travel the lake.

Hey Biff, I've heard some rumors of a possible FM get together shaping up in late Feb over there. That would probably be a good time.

If you click the Ice Leaders line in my signature, it has some details.

I can't wait to head over there.

Great info. I will see if I can make that happen. I know I have classes around those times but I will see what I can do. I was hoping to head up there around spring break, smoewhere around March 16. But if all of you guys are heading there that would probably be best. We will see what happens.

Typically Feb and March are the best months. Last year we did well from Jan right up to Ice Out, so you never know. The perch are there, you just need to find them. It seems like they stay in a spot for about a week then move on. When you look at your GPS after a year of ice fishing, you can see a pattern which helps from year to year. But what you cannot predict year to year is an active wiggler bed, if you find one you will be on them.

As for the outing in Feb, I would recommend booking soon as snowmobile season is in Full Form up here right now and the rooms will be booking soon. I was at Maple ridge this weekend, and she told me she only has 2 rooms left. Not sure if FM'ers have them filled or Bubble Heads (snowmobiles).

With this cold snap I am sure the ice is great, we had -24 this morning...

PK

I got a room this morning for feb 20-22. I am glad I looked last night when the get-together was. perchking, I looking at a couple of different days in Jan, you sure got alot of snow aready. I had alot of bad luck the last few weeks, now running to buy fishing stuff before I can't get what I want.

I can't wait to get back up there.

I got a room this morning for feb 20-22. I am glad I looked last night when the get-together was. perchking, I looking at a couple of different days in Jan, you sure got alot of snow aready. I had alot of bad luck the last few weeks, now running to buy fishing stuff before I can't get what I want.

I can't wait to get back up there.

Ken, don't forget about March.

Hawk,

Sorry for not keeping up, I have been on Bay De Noc for the past week chasing eyes.

We had a tourney this weekend on LG, some really nice eyes being caught right now but the perch are finicky. I think a 14 incher that was 1.7lbs won it. So far it has been pretty much like last year, we are finding fish but not huge so far. I wish I had my camera but the ice fishing gods took that from me. As soon as I get a new camera I will get some pics.

So to answer your question, the fishing is good so far, not great but good.

I am almost all geared again. I need to get a few things yet. I hoping to be out in a couple of weeks.

My son speared a 43" long,21.5 girt 23# northen. He is having it mounted in a glass case and wants a perch to add to it.

Hello all. Greg (we fish alot together and I was his best man in his wedding) introduced me to this site and I plan on being a regular. My "expertise" if I have any would be w/ Lake Gogebic perch so I am happy to help in any way I can.