Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigWadeS

Marcum LX-5 transducer cable ?

12 posts in this topic

I bought a used LX-5 this off season and got to use it and try to figure it out finally yesterday. When I was adjusting the cable stop/gimble (sp?) it wouldn't slide very easy and it would keep bunching up the rubber coating around the cable. Is there a trick to these things that I am just not aware of?

They can be a bit sticky, just get ahold of the split in the grommet and spread it out a little bit. My New LX-5 was this way and now it is fine once I gave it a little tweek.

ah, grommet, that's what the right term is, thanks, I was just afraid of doing that didn't want it to break on me.

I just use my fingernail to split it apart a bit so it will slide.

I've noticed that if I try to slide the cable through dry, it's very difficult, and I worry about messing up the cable. If I wet the cable and rubber, it slides like butter.

Just an idea...

I took the arm thingy off of my marcum and just put a replacement vex styrofoam float and stopper back on. Works great and you dont need to have the unit right next to the hole. Just a thought

Cliffy

I also just split the rubber just a bit and it slides very easy. Only takes a second and your ready to go.

Just an idea...

I took the arm thingy off of my marcum and just put a replacement vex styrofoam float and stopper back on. Works great and you dont need to have the unit right next to the hole. Just a thought

Cliffy

You really don't need the unit next to the hole while using the arm. You feed more cable out and it'll lay across the ice and hang the transducer face just below the ice. The ducer will still be "level", the cord will be alongside the ice hole and your Marcum will be further away from the hole.

That is one thing I love about the Marcum support arm, no more floaty in the hole. Those things are treble hook magnets.

Originally Posted By: cliffy
Just an idea...

Cliffy

You really don't need the unit next to the hole while using the arm. You feed more cable out and it'll lay across the ice and hang the transducer face just below the ice. The ducer will still be "level", the cord will be alongside the ice hole and your Marcum will be further away from the hole.

Yeah, I understand that but the Marcum I bought about 4 years ago came with a much shorter cable than the new ones...maybe three feet shorter...and it was a pain in the back side to have the unit right by the hole, on the ice. I like to flip a 5 gallon bucket upside down and put the unit on top....and if the ice was really thick, sometimes the ducer wouldn't get down far enough and I would have problems.

I recently had to replace my ducer and noticed the new cable is MUCH longer...so I see your point....but habits are hard to break and I went back to my old ways.

I just get the cord wet and if that dont work I open the split on the grommet a bit.