• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new led light idea

CrappieKiller01

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm testing a totally new generation of LED's.

I ran 2 20" sections for 24 hours straight on a Vex 9 amp, and the light never dropped a bit...not detectable to my eye at least. They were just as bright as when I first flipped the switch on hour 1 of my test.

The 9 amp Vexilar battery recharged in 3 hours again to full, a very low voltage/mili amp draw for sure.

VERY bright, extremely durable, nothing remotely like rope LED's or UFO lights...more on this in time. See how they shake out in further tests in the field. For now...these are the best answer I have seen yet.

Has anyone tried those rope LED's from Gander? Saw them last night when we picked up bait. They had a AA battery version and a 12v version. $16 and didn't seem very bright on display.

I have the 12V version in my Eskmo Profish 150, which is a big 1 man house, and they work great. Plenty bright. Seem to draw very little from the vex battery. Brighter than a UFO light, although that works pretty good too.

Originally Posted By: Marmot
Originally Posted By: Dave
Was it in the auto or lighting department?

+1

Is it a secret which department has the DC LED lights?

In the lighting section by the work lights and extension cords. FYI the Mapleewood store is out of them but you can get a rain check.

Now please destroy your hard drive. This info can not be leaked. wink

Thanks for the tip on the 72 led light.

I purchased one, and was out on the ice tonight testing it out.

If the light was angled properly it worked ok in my clam scout, and provided enough light to tie knots, etc., but I was still glad that I had my headlamp.

If you are looking to light up a larger shelter, I think you will want something more powerful.

I have steel support poles, and the magnet did not adhere to them very well. With a flatter surface you will get a better grip. Fortunately there is also a hook on the light, and that slipped over the support poles nicely.

All in all, not a bad product for $13 or so, but for larger shelters I'd find something that puts out more lumens.

Hmmmm, let me guess, patent pending like those rope lites a few years back. LOL!!!

Not a patent pending issue at all as it is already a done deal by the LED's manufacturer, but none the less, I do try to "Live and Learn".

Rope lighting.....That never caught on either, now did it. smirk

I bit on that light bar from maynards also

since some of you field tested them and said they lasted about 6 hours before needing a recharge

I seldom fish that long after dark anyway and being you can hook it to a battery... that works for me also

I've got one of those 76 led lite "trouble light " that the mechanics use. Works good inside but after a while in a portable there brightness drops off considerably. Going to keep looking--probably have to buy some of those "king Kongers" shocked

Sorry to hijack this thread, but...

I got my two UFO lights in the mail yesterday. Excited to try them out, I grabbed three AA batteries (which it states on the packaging), an popped them in. Hit the button. Nothing. I was first thinking bad batteries. As I looked at the guts, I noticed another spot for a battery. I found another AA, and fired it up. I thought, HOLY COW that sucker is bright.

I just thought it was weird that the packaging states I only need three, but really needed four. Also, to get to the place to put the batteries in, its wide open with all the wires exposed, so there wasn't a battery compartment that other electronics typically have.

A very good 30 LED rechargeable light is called the "POD LIGHT". It also comes with a car charger cradle (handy deal), a 12 V cord, and a 110 charger. Very affordable too.

The "POD LIGHT" won awards from the mechanics industry for durability and brightness, and has a rechargeable pack that can be replaced in time as all of these rechargeable batteries loose efficiency and holding capacity after many many cycles.

A 30 LED will often hold better light than a 70 LED rechargeable because it is more efficient, you get stronger light over a longer time span. If the 70 LED light can also power from a 12 V Vex battery, that is another deal entirely, as you add many hours of use that way.

Lots of new innovations in LED rechargeable bars out there. The trick is to find the right balance of lighting and power managment to make them usefull in a ice shack.

when buying batteries for your winter usage devices, where cold is an issue. consider the lithium and lithiun plus batteries. they were designed for extreme cold usage. it is what nasa uses in their eletric stuff for makeing repairs to the outside of the space station. a bit more spendy, yes but there what i use in the outside unit of my weather station, and all my other battery operated stuff. ... paul

Best thing I noticed about the Maynards light is that is runs off the plug in power cord as well. Mine was all but dead when I took it out of the box and when I plugged it in I thought I would turn it on just to see and it was as bright as day right away so you can use it as a plug in device as well.

Something else that I don't think was mentioned was that the end of the tube has LED's as well so the light bar can be used as a flashlight as well! There is a two way switch for using either the light bar or the flashlight.

A very good 30 LED rechargeable light is called the "POD LIGHT"

That looks like a nice light.

The maynards version looks about the same (hook, magnet, design...), but is likely not built as well.

I guess these LED bar lights are all the rage now; probably because of the attention garnered by the POD LIGHT.

At the bloomington store, they were being sold just next to the lighting section. They are not being sold in the battery/flashlight area.