• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canada Fishing trip, when and where?

Thought I would see what people are up too this year. Can be open water coming later or on the ice now. I did a simular thread last year, seemed to be very popular.

Just curious whats the popular trend this year amoung the people reading this forum and Canada? What lakes/outfitters/time of year? etc etc. Are most of you already booked in to go somewhere or waiting to make reservations yet this year? Feel free to share, just wondering where everyone is heading this year. Will this be your first time to this lake your going too or been there before?

Hope everyone that comes this year enjoys they're trip and what Canada has to offer. If you have any questions about Canada, does not even have to reguard the outfit Im with, feel free to ask and Ill gladly give some answers about any Canadian issues or lakes or my 2 cents on a topic.

Following a week at Rainy Lake at Coppen's Resort at the beginning of June, I'll be on a fly-in to Grant Lake. I haven't booked time for the rest of my annual 3-week trip, but I hope to spend some time on Crow Lake and one other place...maybe the Lower Manitou or Pipestone, or maybe another fly-in. But I only fish smallmouth and some muskie.

I try to get up to Americas favorite hat every few years. When we go it is usually for white otter opener in june. Its very productive for both walleye and small mouth. We go out of Browns Clear Water West. if you are willing to do some portageing you can make it to a few good lake trout lakes as well

L&M---

I've got a question about the Reed Lake area in Manitoba. How was the rainfall last summer and snowfall so far this winter? Reason I ask is because last spring we were up on our annual fishing trip and the water level was very low on Reed.

Our group is doing a fly in for the fourth year. We are changing things up quite a bit. We are going to Eardley Lake Manitoba for the first time and are going in late July vs the last three years fishing Macdowel Lake Ontario in early June. We where hesitant to try a new lake since we have had alot of success before, but the new adventure added some excitement for us to talk about all winter.

kodiac1-Is this your first time to Grant Lake? My brother, Lucas, operates Grant and before we moved our airbase to Dryden. I flew into Grant many times doing work or flying people in/out. You should have a great trip, its a fun lake to fish. If you decide on your other trip this year to be another fly in, Lucas' Dogfly lake is another fun lake or we have 1 smallmouth lake too on Fishtrap.

mrfish1991-Barry Brown is a great host to go fishing with. I always enjoy listening to his stories back when he use to be a game warden, never get bored listening to any of those stories.

grizzald-I cant give great info to the Reed lake area as thats along ways away from our place. So far the water levels around our area look positive for next spring, its a long time away till next spring to know exactly what it will be like. Last spring, in the lakes I go to had good water levels.

budvia-Trying a new lake is always fun and adds alittle new excitement and a challenge learning things. Im sure you'll have a great time. In terms of the year, cant say for sure to that exact lake, but Ive found in my expirience the summer time vers spring. Fish the main lake structure pry will be the best bet. Also found that the fish will school up more, might take alittle bit of hunting. But when you find them, you FOUND them if you know what I mean....

Fred bear-Not too much longer till January 1, hope the trip goes well.

Anybody else heading up this way?

Grizzald-Im not soo sure its that much more wintery here than in MN. Appleton area? I hear that area has been getting it good so far this winter.

kodiac-You'll like Grant, everyone does. I would treat yourself and do the one portage lake a day. Most do well enough in Grant they dont want to go through the effort of a little portage. Lucas can fill you in on details when you get to his place.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Perrault and Cedar Lakes???? My friend went there around 5 years ago and said he caught a bunch of walleye and smallies...thinking of giving it a try this summer..its a long way from Indy though! We're open to other ideas, too!

L&M---

I've got a question about the Reed Lake area in Manitoba. How was the rainfall last summer and snowfall so far this winter? Reason I ask is because last spring we were up on our annual fishing trip and the water level was very low on Reed.

Hey grizzald,

if you don't mind I'd like ask you a few questions about Reed. It's on my list of lakes to fish. My email is jensenmd at hotmaildotcom

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Perrault and Cedar Lakes???? My friend went there around 5 years ago and said he caught a bunch of walleye and smallies...thinking of giving it a try this summer..its a long way from Indy though! We're open to other ideas, too!

Went to Perrault Last year, we went in early Aug. kinda slow but thats the second time we've been there. In my opinion, I would hit Sturgeon. Very nice lake and a wide variety of fish, I go with 10 of my buddies every other year and we're trying Lac Des mille this year, anyone been there???

I was up at Cedar Lake two summers ago over the 4th of July. Unstable weather conditions and a bad may fly hatch put the damper on the walleye's. A group staying next to us had a aquaview and had walleye's stacked up all over the place by the railroad bridge but couldn't get them to bite. Granted my wife and I aren't the best at catching walleyes but we ended up with 6 for the week. The highlight was the hospitality of Ray and Cathy at Cedar Point Lodge and the 42" musky my wife caught back trolling minnows for walleyes. We are considering going again this year. A couple staying next to us had been going the last 17 years and said it was by far the worst it had ever been the week we were there. Obviously conditions weren't on our side. Other groups fished all day for walleyes to end up with 2-4 per person for the day.

When: Right now and up to late March.

Where: Red River of the North, Lockport MB Canada.

Contact: Stu McKay at "Cats on the Red" www.catsonthered.net

Catch: Giant Sumo Greenback Red River or Lake Winnipeg Walleye.

cbotw107.gif

cbotw78.gif

Once again...right now and up North before the April 1 closing!!

we are going back to an area near Landsdowne House, Ontario. We travel thru Duluth then

150 miles north of Thunder Bay to Armstrong and then another 160 air miles north of there. We've had the last Saturday in May for 7 days locked in for years. Walleyes at will and northerns are great. Last year we got there on a Saturday but the ice was just completely gone by the Wednesday before. We caught 42 northerns between 10 and 22 pounds and didn't even count the hammer handles or 5 pounders. And people ask me why I don't fish South Dakota much....LOL. Any guesses on ice-out this year?

Minnitaki in May. Rainy in July. Winnepeg River in October. First time I will hit Canada three times in a season. Did someone say recession? grin

Paul, I was right with you last year on the ice out thing. The Wednesday prior to our Saturday arrival. We couldn't get into the pike though, for some reason. This year we are going one week later just for that reason. The lake we go to (Minnitaki) has a lot of deep water, so the big girls were not in the shallows as far as we could tell.

As far as ice out this year, I am keeping my fingers crossed for a slightly earlier one.

Paul-Sounds like a good time you guys have on your fly in. I can certainly understand why you dont fish elsewhere much. Hope your trip is a success once again this year. Guess on ice out??? Playing the odds I wouldnt bet on 2 years in a row with ice going out as late as it did last year. Lakes we head into had ice out right at about the same as your lake did. Made for an interesting spring to say the least.

Prov-You fish some fine water in your trips. Best of luck to you on your trips. Which places do you stay at for Minnitaki and Rainy? What a better way to forget about all the talk about recession than thinking about fishing or actually being out on the water fishing?

L&M, we always stay at Donnelly's on Minnitaki. We are still trying to decide on a Rainy destination. It will be my first time on the Canadian side of Rainy. Do you have any suggestions?

I agree with your recession statement. Fishing trips are a necessity for me and my family. As long as we can swing it, we will be there. Fortunately, I live in a prosperous area as it relates to jobs, but unfortunately, for great fishing, I have to drive north...far north. People will argue that South Dakota (my back door) is great for fishing. It is, but South Dakota doesn't have boreal forests, loons, bears, moose, etc. That is why I drive north smile