Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishgutz77

Anyone ever fish kings through the ice?

8 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has every targeted Kings through the Ice on Superior or Mich?

good question...can't think I've ever heard of it happening. Splake, browns and rainbows for sure, both inland, and the unspellable bay by washburn/ashland:) Even a couple harbors along lake MI. I'd think they might get some incidential kings in one of those fisheries. It'll be interesting to hear if anyone has targeted them though... Maybe in Nipigon bay??

Lake Michigan I would think. Superior has not been managed for kings in years. I don't know where there is ice on Lake Michigan, but population wise you would find them easier there.

Plenty o cohos in Superior though!

We don't fish them during the winter through the ice. After the mature 5-year olds run the river to spawn, all of the non-spawners move out to deep water. In most of Lk MI, to get out to deep water, you have to go out 5-10 miles. They fish them by boat somewhat do no ice to speak over.

I have heard of people targeting kings on the Missouri River lakes (Oahe and Sakaweja), but that was about 8 years ago when the water was way up.

Lenny

what about the deep water next to shore? maybe near Gillsrock or deaths door type water