• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar FL18 or Marcum LX-3

Question

Ive been lookin to replace my fl 8 with something new.
Has anyone used the marcum?
Any info on this would be great!!!
HAVE FUN & FISH-ON!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Clam sleeper,Fishtrapp,5x8 hardside, 660 Grizz

23 answers to this question

I assume it should be great, the thorne brothers were partial owners of Zercom which sold out to Hummingbird, they then became marcum technologies, if you know anybody who had a color point, this could only be better and improved, I wish someone would give me one to test!

I talked to Paul Thorne and his partner about the Marcum LX3 at the last Distributor Show in St. Cloud last week and it is going to be one powerful unit. These guys are very technical and have all their ducks in a row. I was very impressed with the technology. They seem to be doing their homework. Also with their underwater cameras. What I was told is the Marcum LX3 is more powerful than the Vexilar Fl18. Is this going to create problems for your buddies that are using a Vexilar next to your LX3? Very well could be. But if you then had a LX3 you wouldn't have to worry about other brands fishing close to you. I also am waiting to try one out! ICE IS COMING!!!!!

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

Its not so much the power that would be the concern, but more if the Marcum is running on the same freqency as the Vex. Iam not so sure you need much more power out of a flasher unless your fishing Lakers in deep water. The FL-18 is an awesome unit. Iam not sure i would jump on the Marcum the first year but would sure like to see it in action.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

The only people that I know of who tested them are the creators last winter on late ice. I'm sure they aren't on the same frequency as the Vexilar. I love my FL18 but these do look good. ICE ICE ICE

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

I think my FL-18 is all a person could ask for. Power comes to play with depth. In fact, I use the low power setting much of the time in water less than 20 feet. And you can't ask much more for defination. I think the FL-18 is going to set the standard for a long time to come smile.gif

And speaking of coming - come on ice!!!

You will not be dissapointed with the FL-18. Even my wife catches more fish with an Fl-18. I upgraded first but it didn't take her long to ditch her Fl-8 for the new technology. Scott Steil

Why take a chance that's why I use both the FL-8 and my Colorpoint. My Fl-8 is my bluegill/crappies unit 0-15' depth and over 15' depth the colorpoint blows away the vexilar on those ground hugging walleyes and perch. The colorpoint over powers water under 15' that is the down side. The vex can be finely tuned in shallow water and the colorpoint gives me the full picture in deep plus the colorpoints display has always been better. So don't take a chance if you can find a point to go with your vex, you got em covered.

Who needs more power than the FL-18??? Guess I just had a VERY bad experience with Zercom's "customer service" policy. . .
Vexilar just seems to be the kind of company that others should strive to be!

Not many folks have seen let alone used the Marcum yet, this season will tell on what they can do or can't do.

I have been waiting for somebody to try a knock off of the Vexilar, Marcum is going to give it a shot.

Me, I'll stay with Vexilar.

Have you seen the new Vexilar CLC-200 from Vexilar? It is a five-color liquid crystal sonarcolor graph unit, SWEET!

http://www.vexilar.com/products/clc200.html

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

All I know is that using both has made my decision next season to get the Marcum. The Fl-18 and the LX-3 units do run on the same frequency but the Marcum has IR now and with the additional power will proably knock out any unit within range. I had no complaints with Zercom's customer service and I got a full refund after using the unit for a season. I bought a FL-8SLT with that money and it was great and still is for shallow water under 20' but if you fish for perch/walleyes the colorpoint had better target separation and as far as display it blew the FL-8 away, I never needed a coffee can or a mag shield in full sun light. I bought another colorpoint a year ago and it's been fantastic. Techsonic still does service them even now with them off the shelves. The Marcum has a full 2 year warranty just like the FL-18's. I think this unit will be the class of the field.

Evening guys - “MarCum“ this name rings a bell. I have an older PolarVision (StrikeMaster) handheld sonar unit. A couple of years back the unit developed a leak and was allowing water into viewing window so I called StrikeMaster (it was way beyond warranty period) they told me to send it in for look/see maybe repair. Sent it to company called MarCum in MN. Anyway the unit was repaired, returned, no repair charge, no mailing fee .... in a week! Great stand behind product and service ... people. Anyone know if this is the same MarCum Technologies?

BB-LDF

Bayou Bill - Hey man how the heck you been? have not seen a post from you in a while.
Bill do you have the address or a web site for Marcum Technologies?
Doing some research on this LX-3 and found out yesterday Reeds is carrying them now. However when I opened my package from Reeds they messed up and sent me one of those limp vexilar flex lights instead of what I ordered an HT Sonar Night Light. Called there customer service during duty hours yesterday and no one called me back. Looks like words getting around quick on the MarCum's... I want to test drive this unit real bad but my wife would chit if I bought another flasher.

I don't see you much on the other site but it's nice seeing a post from you. You take care....

FishNChester - That's funny.. I am looking at the Reeds winter sale 2003 catalog pg. 15 and they have the 12 volt/7 amp battery & fully automatic digital charging system with battery monitor all included in the LX-3 Ice System for $399.99. My buddy just ordered one from Reeds today it won't be here for 10 days. I will be anxious to see what's included. I will post my findings. Have a good weekend.

If your going to order the MarCum LX-3, Cabela's will have there units in on November 14th ready to ship.

The reason I did not go through Reeds is because of there customer service, in one word... STINKS What gives Reeds the right to substitute another item on your order with something that you did not want! I wanted a HT Sonar Night Light and that's what I ordered on the web, it did not tell me they were out of stock or back ordered when I placed it. Then instead of calling and asking if I would like the Vexilar light as a substitute they send me that stupid Vex light. I called there and they did not return my call. The next day I called and they said they would get right back with me. 30 min. later with no return call I called back and they said just send it back, no apologies no nothing. Now that just tells me I am done doing business with them not for nothing the guys that I have talked to were understanding in the past when there was a mix-up, but this Marlene has no idea what "Customer Service" means. Off my Box..

Back to the MarCum... With the variable range zoom I can't wait my order went in today and it also comes with the battery charger.
I have a bite on my 1yr. old Vexilar FL8SLT, battery, charger, icebox with protective rubber boot for transducer protection and easy transport, HT sonar Night light which is way better than Vexilars snake for $200.

I hope the I.R. feature works on the MarCum cause the vex never worked. My wife gave me a window of opportunity that I could not pass up, that means she get's a new digital camera.

My wife won an hsolist bid for me today. 3 spools 4pd.test fireline green, new in box for $14.75. Around here it's 14.75 for one spool so that was a good deal.