• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1999 Polaris XC500 Issue

MNUser

The sled seems to have a short. Not sure if it is a common problem o not so I thought i would try here before I seek "professional" help.. ; )

The headlight and tail light will dim out and then come back to full strength. The hand warmers and thumb warmers work fine. I have checked some of the connections and found nothing that seemed loose. Was wondering it is was under the seat.

Anybody have this issue with this sled? If so, what was the fix?

Thanks!

Mn,

I would bet that it's the voltage regulator. Had the same problem and tried to find the short all in vain. Even had it in and they thought they found the short. I struggled with the problem for a month or so. Finally stopped in and talked with Eddie FM-Millelacs and he knew exactly what it was. He gave me a new voltage regulator, took me 2 minutes to put it in and haven't had one problem with the lights since.

That sounds easy. Is there a trick to determine if it is bad or not? It might be the least expensive fix to find the problem. I had considered taking it in but it could cost a fortune when you figure in their hourly rate.

Thanks!

Very easy. Open the hood and look on the right side (when sitting on the sled), down by the chain case. If you are standing on the right side of the sled looking at the chain case, just look a little towards the rear of the sled on the black cross bar (from tunnel to belly pan). It will be right above your right foot footrest, but in the hood area. It will be a little black box (2"x3"), with two bolts holding it on and one wire (yellow).

Good luck!

That sounds easy. Is there a trick to determine if it is bad or not? It might be the least expensive fix to find the problem. I had considered taking it in but it could cost a fortune when you figure in their hourly rate.

Thanks!

ya the local polaris dealer around here charges $80 or $85 an hour!!! nuts!!!!!

Thanks shackbash.

I emailed you about the voltage regulator. I will take it off your hands. I'm in Baxter, MN. Let me know what I owe you and I will get it in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks! Look forward to having this nagging little issue resolved.

Thanks guys! Got the part from shackbash and installed it. All is working perfectly. Started it up and it did not dim once. Ran it for about 5 minutes or so. I think that was it. You guys saved me hundreds!

If I ever see you out and about I owe your a beer or three!