• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP!!!!!!! Oil leak!

Big Dave2

I plowed with my 2000 Kodiak last week and everythink seemed fine so I don't know if I would have hit something or what but now it is leaking oil.

There is a big puddle on the floor underneath the unit. The oil is coming out of a rubber boot on the back side of the motor going toward the rear gear box. Looks like the spot where there would be a rear main seal if it were a car. Anyone understand what I am talking about? Is there a gasket under there somewhere? If so, How hard is it to fix? If it's not too bad I can usually fix most things myself if I have an idea of what I am supposed to be doing.

Any ideas?

May sound stupid, but are you sure it is oil? Is it in a heated area to melt off or did it just heat up now because of the warm temps. I'm asking because, maybe it is just snow melt that hit some grease or rust somewhere and fell on the floor.

If you are right and it is a leak from there, I would guess that the whole rear end would have to come off in order to get at that seal. Then there would be the task of getting the seal out and another rammed in there. I hope this isn't the case for you.

I see what you are saying roofer but unfortunately it is definately new motor oil dripping from the rubber boot that is in between the motor and the rear arm. I am pretty sure now after doing some other searching on the web that it is the rear main seal that has gone out. What I can't find is information on how to repair it. Does anyone know of a repair manual like a chilton book for cars that I can get for this ATV? Or better yet maybe someone here knows just how to fix this and will be nice enough to give me instructions.

Klymer (sp?) is the go-to manuals for ATV's.

It does sound like a rear seal. Maybe stop and talk to the guys at BP Motorsports and see if there's any advice they can provide. It shouldn't cost anything to ask a couple questions.

Yeah I thought I might do that Dave. I know Ernie Pretty good at Motorsports and my wife used to work there at one time. I just don't want to have to pay shop rates if I don't have to, especially right now. I do want to get it fixed ASAP though because it is the only thing I use to clear snow(besides a shovel of course)and I have an ice fishing trip to Minnewaska coming up that I always use it for.

Personaly I would tear into it. As long as you pay attention to how it came apart and it cant be that big of a deal. A good dealer will let you look at a service manual if you buy the parts from them.

Dozer, I think I will try that.

I put oil in it this morning and used it to plow but I don't want to do that any more than I have to. The good news is that with these frigid temps it doesn't leak near as fast when it is just sitting as it did when it was warm.