Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mr_jman

Does your auger do this?

6 posts in this topic

I just recently bought a used but "like-new" Strikemaster Mag 2000 probably a 2006 or 2007 model. I noticed that when I'm drilling a hole, once I break through the ice and hit the water, the head "powers down" and the auger stops spinning making it much easier to pull back out of the hole. It's a really nice "feature" and I was wondering if these augers are designed to do that or if its just something mine does for some reason?

I don't know how they could design something like that and have not heard of this before. If it were a feature, it would have to be directly related to the torque load on the engine and then this would be happening whenever you lifted the auger while you were drilling (like when you are pulling ice shavings up when drilling through thick ice) Seems way too complex for an ice auger, but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think I'd like that. For the purpose you describe it might be handy but as Fredd pointed out, I wouldn't want it to stop turning because it no longer felt resistance. I'd much rather have that control.

Bob

I believe your just noticing the drop in torque when the blades break free and as the centrifugal governor backs off as it feels less resistance.

I run full throttle all the way- down through ice and back up.

I do the same, cleans most of the slush/ice chips out of the hole that way.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• i'll come hell ya leech!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Bureaucrate-   Correctly me if I'm wrong, weren't you a huge advocate against AIS lawd and allowing the DNR to pull over fishermen and boats for an inspection? But you are okay with them pulling over deer hunters?    Sounds like anything they do, you are against. If they said black, you'd say white...
    • The 2016 Libertarian Party is Starting! Started by Big Dave2, April 12, 2015   Is this post even relative anymore or has it ever really been? May as well just delete it and save some site Band width!
    • Same circuit as the freezer?!! Oh no no no......!!! They kick in at the same time, and  *TRIP* Always have the pump on a separate circuit!!  As mentioned, GFCI is what code calls for, but sometimes dampness will pop one, rare, but I've seen it happen. I nixed the GFCI on mine when I ran a separate circuit for just the pump. That should solve your problem. 
    • I am from Richland Center.
      I have 2 2500 stradics in dis-repair.
      Both bales refuse to return to closed.
      Heard it may be simple as a spring.
      I am kinda cheap….if costs a lot to fix i will buy new reel. Anyone know somewhat local repair person that is reasonable?
    • Well you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.  
    • Another one thawing.  made this one for my nephew but will keep it for me. So will have another one in the brine in a couple days. 
    • It's a little early to be hitting the bottle don't you think?  Believe in Trump and you'll feel better.
    • Ok I'll save you from dying. Where can i pick it up? 
    • I use to work on all aluminum body fire trucks.  The only screw, bolt, washer, or nut that we would use was stainless steel as the by using anything else will allow electrolysis to start from dissimilar metals and corrode.  Only problem was the strength of the SS is not as high as regular steel.  Also if you are using SS, i would only use bees wax as a lube.  I use to buy it in a block, and just rub the threads on the screw before putting in the hole.  If you don't, you may find that the threads gall up and strip out.  Then you have issues cause it can be tough to drill out a broken SS screw.  If you have a bunch to do, i found that a combination drill/tap was very useful.  It will drill the hole and tap at one shot.  Here is what they look like.  Good luck. http://www.graybar.com/store/en/gb/combination-drill-tap-bits-22082167?cm_mmc=pla:google-_-googleshopping-_-gb5349-_-22082167&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Graybar>PLA>Category&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=fto6JW9w|pcrid|49843833890|pkw||pmt|&gclid=CPzt0MP72tACFYKSfgodC4MH_g
  • Our Sponsors