Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2springers

Modding a post hole digger into an auger

8 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone has done this?

At my work we have a small post hole auger (about the size of an ice auger). Anyway its just sitting there unused, Im wondering how easy it would be to retro an ice auger blade onto the post hole auger. I havent looked real closely at it yet, but Im thinking it should be pretty easy to do.

I am assuming you are talking about a power post hole digger?

If so, you could just buy a new auger assembly from another brand and retrofit it to the power head.

Josh

If you do buy an auger assembly from another brand and retrofit it to the power head, make sure that the powerhead turns the auger in the same way. I know Jiffy augers turn a different way then eskimo & strikemaster augers.

I would say just find a good used auger for around a hundy or so online. Not much more than a retrofit and a lot less hastle.

Years ago I had tried this with an old Ardisam (eskimo), the auger shafts are available at Menards it works fine the gearing is different making it turn slower than an ice auger.

I would say just find a good used auger for around a hundy or so online. Not much more than a retrofit and a lot less hastle.

Why when all I need to do is swap out the auger blade? A hundred wont buy much of an auger.

If that is all you have to do, than you could certainly give it a try.

For shaver blades like the SM lazers, the pitch angle of the how the blades are mounted on the auger are very important for them to cut properly. Not sure about chipper style blades.

If you want to try replacing the whole bit, I think you can pick-up used SM bits from D-Rock in Fridley, it'll save you a few bucks over new.

yeah, I'd be replacing the entire bit, cutting head and flutes.