Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tom_w

Ice thickness in Minneapolis?

7 posts in this topic

Anyone been out on Calhoun or Nokomis? I was thinking of going tomorrow but I don't want to die.

How does one know when the ice is safe?

Tom

Try the metro area forum, there have been a few threads about those lakes.

I'll be down making some holes in Harriet sunday to test the thickness/catch some fish I hope. It looked like it might still be sketchy when I drove by today, but we'll see.

saw two portables out on Isles (east side) tonight. Nokomis should be pretty much a go, thursday before last I was out on the east side and had 3".

Yeah, Nokomis is a go. As long as you don't venture out too far, that is... but there are plenty of fish within casting distance of shore, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Ben...that is the coolest avatar I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was out on Nokomis tonight and have 7+ inches in the area we drilled.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• My family has LIfe 360 on our phones. It allows you to know exactly where that phone is at all times. My teenage kids were not to hip on the idea until my wife explained that you either have the app or you don't have a phone. It already saved a phone. My son dropped his phone in the middle of a bean field last summer.  We were able to use the app to drive a wheeler to within 10ft. Well worth it.
    • My personal opinion on the backup pumps is that they are a stop gap to buy you enough time to minimize the amount of water that backs up during a torrential storm while you get your primary pumps on a generator.    Obviously the biggest factor is to figure out how much water can enter the drainage system during the heaviest downpours and that can help you decide what gpm you need to stay ahead of the water. If you get a bigger backup pump then you will burn through a battery faster.    If you don't get a lot of water in the system ever and if the sump pump only runs periodically during even heavy rains and wet weather then you can get more run time from a smaller system.    There really isn't a way to say exactly what you need to be 100%safe unless you know exactly what flows you have.
    • Already doing many of these.  It's slowly improving.
    • I was just getting some info on this unit: http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-ap/product/63-basement-sentry#features     I am sure you could hook up multiple batteries as well
    • Sunday, pulled a group of 3 toms from about 500 yds across private into the public only to hang up at 60 yds. We worked them for 2 hrs and they never got in front of the blind. They finally got closer, but instead of going in front of the blind, they got behind the blind at about 5 yards inside the woodline and could hear them stepping on twigs. Man what a rush. Sadly, they walked back onto private and out of our lives LOL. Kinda wish I was hunting with a shotgun!   3 or 4 gobblers were rattling off behind us in the woods in the morning and shut up by 7. The 3 that we got to come in from private were to the other side and they didn't gobble til they were close enough to see/hear our setup. Those two hours were between 8 and 10. Will try again.
    • They will lose 90 to 100 games again this year. They do not have the pitching to even get to 500. Santana will be our lone all-star and be traded before end of year. Hope something changes but they did not add anything for starters or offensive so until they do we will get the same junk. Really sucks cause i love watching and listening to the games all summer long.
    • % of people that have picked that person. 
    • Some rainy river monsters! 61" 60" and a 54"! Have a look!  
    • Many big sturgeon boated this past week again.  Has been a great year for sturgeon so far up and down the river.  Fish different holes until you find fish.  Use a 3 ounce no roll sinker, a 1-1.5 foot leader, and a circle hook loaded (called a sturgeon rig) with frozen shiners and crawlers for best results. Anchor boat up stream of a deeper hole and pitch sturgeon rig into the hole. Heavy equipment is preferred.  Pike fishing is going good right now in shallow bays and on the Rainy River. Best methods so far are using buzz baits or lying a frozen cisco on bottom with a hook and weight(similar to a sturgeon rig but with less weight).   Pike are active in bays. The lake and bays and water starting to warm up and pike are being caught.  Pike are open all year up on LOW.   Up at the NW Angle, the ice is gone and it's open water.  Remember, walleyes open May 13th, pike and crappies open all year for LOW MN and sturgeon fishing through May 15th and then again July 1st.
    • Was clearing some downed trees from trails this morning. Checked a couple of trees and would you look at that. I didn't look very hard so I'm sure there are more, but of course have to head to work. Cold weather predicted after today though...  
  • Our Sponsors