Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Twins 57 Fan

Connecting a Water Softener

8 posts in this topic

I recently installed a new water softener. I hooked everything up properly, no leaks, and everything seemed to be working great.

When I took a shower, and was standing in water (obviously), and touched metal I got a little buzz on my hand. Didn't hurt, but was surprising to say the least. I knew it was something with the ground.

I went to the local hardware store and bought 6 gauge copper wire and 2 clamps and connected the "in" and "out" pipes.

I am still getting a buzz in the shower.

Any Ideas?

The best idea I can come up with is to have an electrician check your system. Are your water lines properly grounded? I'm not an electrician and I don't have a code book handy but there are specifics about grounding the water.

Bob

Any other ideas... my brother in law is an electrician but cant make it over for a few days.

Is your house older? Back when the common ground was hooked to plumbing pipe?

If so you should install a 6-8 ft ground rod and ground to it.The whole house should use a ground rod.

I'm not sure that this would affect anything but is the outlet that you plugged the water softener in to a grounded outlet?

Do you have an electric water heater? It is not uncommon for one of the electric elements to foul with scale and mineral deposits and cause a ground. If your water pipes are not properly grounded you complete the circuit to earth ground when you touch something metal.

Are we sure this is connected to the water softener at all? Did it start when you plugged that in? If you unplug that do you still get it?