Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MARINERMAGNUM

Testing 2x Converter

6 posts in this topic

It is too windy to do much shooting today,but I wanted to try my 2x to see how much image degradation there really was.

Alot of people on other forums say it makes images "un-useable" ?? I don't think it's that bad. There is a hint of CA and a small loss of sharpness,but I didn't process these any different than I do any of my other images and I could still print them large. I did notice I needed to keep the shutter speed up to keep them sharp,but this is acceptable quality to me for times when I can't carry the big glass with me. I don't think it performs alot worse than my 100-400L did.

Anyone else have exp. with the 2x?

These were with my 30D,70-200 2.8L,Canon 2xII TC

Not good compositions,but I was just out for answers. I didn't stop it down,these are at F5.6

High class Sparrow

3105303500_8497a67631.jpg

3104471679_9654dcace1.jpg

Pa

3104472119_92effacde7.jpg

And Ma

3105317432_42e6bf29b7.jpg

A little croppage on above

3105303696_4e09f46667.jpg

I guess no matter what they say in forums,try it yourself before you make a decision. I am happy to have the ability to go to a 140-400mm F5.6 with IS in a compact package!

Yep, definitely unusable. grin I don't see anything wrong with these shots at all. They look plenty sharp to me. I agree that you have to test things out yourself.

On good quality lenses like you have I wouldn't be real concerned about using a 2X. As you can see it does a very credible job. You lose two stops of light, and some focus speed.

I do know a couple of publication shooters that do not use 1.4 or 2X converters because the publications won't accept them. Most of us don't fall into that category.

I use my 1.4 all the time on both the 70-200/2.8 and the 300/2.8. Works a touch better on the 300 than the 70-200.

One thing to add is that on closeup subjects like yours the IQ is much better than on smaller distant subjects. The 2X just won't allow those distant shots to resolve very well.

And "unusable" is an individual assessment that will vary widely from user to user.

Another point to make is that pixel peeping or looking at how sharp they appear on the computer screen has limited value. If the prints are sharp enough to suit you using the 2X, you are good to go.

Quote:
Another point to make is that pixel peeping or looking at how sharp they appear on the computer screen has limited value. If the prints are sharp enough to suit you using the 2X, you are good to go.

BINGO!!! I second that motion! grin

Agreed as well. I've seldom used my 2X although I did give it a good workout on my 70-200 at a college football game before I got my 300mm. Had good light with an afternoon game and the results were fabulous. Actually got into that same discussion today and the conclusion was the same - for subjects taken at a fairly close distance, IQ suffers very little.