• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Be Honest: What would you do?

fishmon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would for sure pull the guy, out or make a call for him,either way I would stop and make sure things were ok,

However, he would also know in no uncertain terms that squeezing in on another's spot like that is not only frowned upon but rude as k*ll.

Well if I had a problem with it; I would've gotten the cubes and said something while he was a few feet from me instead of acting like a child and not offering help... even a cell phone.

I'd say driving past someone in need of help rates 100x higher on the dbag o' meter than setting tipups to close.

The fact that people would drive on by out of spite for such a stupid thing is pretty depressing and shocking at the same time.

I dont think I can answer this question, there are too many Variables already. Whats the road conditions like, how far in the ditch is he, what kinda truck does he have, is he on a curve, Why did he go in the ditch.

If it was a busy road, such as HWY 8 by my house, I would stop WAY infront of him, come back ask if he was alright, offer to call it in and then leave, IF i had my kids, I would drive by and then call the local's to let them know about the situation, no need to place other people in harms way.

If he went in because of being a dumb F*ck well, then its the locals with out a stop.

Shawn

At first sight I would think of B, but would always stop and pull anybody out. Unless he had a few to many. Than they need to get off the road so they dont drive across the other side of the road and go head on with some inocent family. I would call the cops than.

First I would stop and see if he was ok. Assuming he was ok I would ask him if he was in as much of a hurry on the road as he was to crowd my 10 feet of hardwater property. If he smarts off he stays if he apologizes I would pull him out for a mere $20. Carma as forementioned is a bit*# and it just bit him where the good lord split him!!

Upon reflection, I would stop and see who he wanted me to call for him or I would call 911 and notify the authorities. These days you can do someone a favor and end up getting sued, and I don't know that Minnesota's Good Samaritan law covers pulling out of ditches.

Or I could damage my vehicle and a guy like that isn't going to take care of it.

Yes, setting tipups too close is serious business, obviously means the guy is probably high on crack and going without insurance.

No, but it means there is a chance he is a jerk. How much exposure should I take on to save him a few bucks and some inconvenience? And if he has towing rider on his car insurance, or AAA not even a few bucks.

If he is hurt or in danger, then give him a hand. Keep him warm, give first aid, whatever. But in the normal situation, why take the risk?

Actually, back at the lake, I would have done what I usually do when someone moves in that close.

First I start by searching my jacket and saying something about how I can't believe I forgot my meds and that I really shouldn't be without them. Then I regale my new friend with stories about the penitentiaries I have served time in. This is followed by a little nervous neck twitching and long distant staring. When I get around to asking if he carries a lot of cash in his wallet my new friend usually decides to fish somewhere else.

i would pull over and ask it he was ok and ask if he needed a phone to call anyone i wouldnt pull him out cause i dont have the proper lights and i wouldnt risk getting a ticket for some jerkoff who set up a tip up 7 ft from where i was fishing

OMG this is to funny. Some great feedback here. Personally I would say the guy is a airhead, If Bin Laden was the person being named here would anyone pull him out of the ditch because your a FM'er? not me I tend not to go out of my way to selfish inconsiderate people, now on the other hand if the guy is hurt, freezing,has family or friends with I would be willing to help out. But with that said I would defenitly give him a earfull of his manners on the ice.

I would pull over to see if he is allright, then I would call a recker to pull him or her out, or a officer to come to the scene if they were impared. I would never use my truck to pull them out. the wear and tear on your truck may never be replaced.

It depends. I'm not trying to mess up my truck even if its for a freind. If its off the road a bit I will give him a pull, and if its buried I will give the wreckers a call for him. If he's hammered I will just call the 5-0 and let them deal with it.

I am not going to be a jerk, but I will definitly say to him that he should be a little more polite out on the ice. I find that most people that do that kind of thing don't know they are pi$$ing people off. If you let them know respectfully, they change that behavior. If you don't stop you don't have that opportunity.

Your out fishing in prime time and the bite is pretty good some guy comes up and starts drilling all around you, puts a tip up 7 feet from you! He walks off a while later, you decide to leave to after that. I's about 11 p.m. your on your way home you pass a truck in the ditch, stuck, it's the guy from the lake:

Do you A stop and pull him out

Do you B drive by and offer a one finger salute

Do you C pretend you did'nt see him and smile to yourself

Which would you do?

Im willing to bet 7 feet is a bit of an exaggeration. Probably was closer to 12 or 15 maybe?

Admittedly, I wouldnt be happy if someone set up that close unless it were a buddy. But then again it is a public lake. Ethical? No but whatever.

Would you have been upset if it were a friend of yours? Id bet not.

A. And I would do the crawling around in the snow to hook both rigs up, but then again I sort of get a kick out of the physics of a good pull -- that real question of whether or not I can get my truck to do it. His actions on the lake don't have anything to do with it.

i dont believe he set his tip up 7 feet i guess your maybe 15 feet or so and im sure he was within in 200 feet of his tip up too.

but anyways i would stop make sure nobody got hurt. and ask him if he got help on the way? if not ask if he whats help? and if he whats help give him a hand. its the right thing to do.

but on the flip side if some pass me on an ice road and see him in the ditch i smile and drive by. because i was drive slow for a reason.

as a FMER cant believe some of you guys. just remember what you say and do will come back and hunted you in the future.

I have a smaller 4x4, a Ranger to be exact, I'm probably not gonna be pulling anything to big out of anywhere.....I don't have tow straps in my truck....I do have jumper cables, fire extinguisher, tools and a long length of rope, thats about it.

I guess I would stop and assess the situation, alot of unseen variables here, like weather conditions, temperature, age, demeanor, etc.

I'd see if there would be some kind of assistance I could provide without breaking my truck, or getting myself into a like situation, but if one smart, or unappreciative word came out of his mouth, he'd be on his own....!

Believe it or not, I had something like this happen to me...stopped to help a dude that was stuck, let him use my cell to make a call and I'm standing there waiting and waiting and I says, "Hey, let's get busy with this!" He tells me, "Yeah, yeah, in a minute" and keeps talking on MY cell phone!

I walked up and physically took the cell phone from him, put it in my pocket, got back in my truck and went on my way....maybe the next person that came along was little more tolerant then myself?

Slow down. If he is hurt in the truck you need to stop. If he is outside moving around ... call the sheriff / Hwy Patrol and provide the location.

A nice $100+ tow truck pull out would serve him nicely.

If he has been drinking too much, the $1000+ DUI will serve him even better. smirk