• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Be Honest: What would you do?

fishmon

Your out fishing in prime time and the bite is pretty good some guy comes up and starts drilling all around you, puts a tip up 7 feet from you! He walks off a while later, you decide to leave to after that. I's about 11 p.m. your on your way home you pass a truck in the ditch, stuck, it's the guy from the lake:

Do you A stop and pull him out

Do you B drive by and offer a one finger salute

Do you C pretend you did'nt see him and smile to yourself

Which would you do?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to believe that any FM'er would even consider B and C. He may have ticked you off on the lake and we all know how terribly important that it is that no one bothers or upsets us when we are fishing, but he's still a guy that's a son, father, brother. Always stop and help if it is safe to do so. It's the FM'er way to be.

I totally agree with Maverick, I would stop to pull him out. I'm a boyscout and the values of helping others have been pounded into me by my troop and my family. Sure he may have [PoorWordUsage] me off on the ice, but we arnt on the ice anymore

1. Pull over and exit the vehicle.

2. Remove tip-up from stuck traveler's fishing equipment.

3. Place tip-up 7 feet from his vehicle on road shoulder to alert oncoming traffic of a road hazard.

4. Explain that if he weren't such a donkey you'd help but that he needs to first learn to use his tip-up responsibly. Until then, the tip-up should be used by him only in the manner described in #3 above.

5. Return to vehicle and call local law enforcement to report a vehicle spin out in need of assistance.

Or, if I were in a good mood, I might just pull him out. Kinda depends on how the fishing really was.

I would most likely stop to see if he needs to call a tow truck. I do not carry the proper safety equipment to pull him out, nor do I want to risk damage to my vehicle in the process.

Chances are if this guy is willing to setup a tip-up 7 feet from you he probably is not smart enough to aid you in properly freeing his stuck vehicle without risking injury to yourself or the vehicle you are attempting to pull him out with.

That's fine if here were to fish next to a guy but drill a hole put a tip-up in and leave the seen? Isn't there a DNR law about being close to your fishing tip-up (200 ft.) He must have been breaking that rule... So C and a call to the dnr for his help... We all have rules to live by. So don't judge my response until you read and understand fishmon's question.

That's fine if here were to fish next to a guy but drill a hole put a tip-up in and leave the seen? Isn't there a DNR law about being close to your fishing line (100-300yds.?) He must have been breaking that rule... So C and a call to the dnr for his help... We all have rules to live by. So don't judge my response until you read and understand fishmon's question.

What?

The regulation is... Anglers must remain within 200 feet of their tip-up. So when he walked off he most likely was breaking the law... thus answer c

Interesting. Fishmon didn't say the guy left his tip up, but even if he did I think your saying that because he broke the law you should just let him sit in the ditch. It's just my opinion, but I think that is the wrong answer. What if the situaion was reversed and it was you in the ditch? Would you refuse his help because you thought he broke the law. Again, if it is safe and you have the ability to help there is no excuse to not help.

1. Pull over and exit the vehicle.

2. Remove tip-up from stuck traveler's fishing equipment.

3. Place tip-up 7 feet from his vehicle on road shoulder to alert oncoming traffic of a road hazard.

4. Explain that if he weren't such a donkey you'd help but that he needs to first learn to use his tip-up responsibly. Until then, the tip-up should be used by him only in the manner described in #3 above.

5. Return to vehicle and call local law enforcement to report a vehicle spin out in need of assistance.

Or, if I were in a good mood, I might just pull him out. Kinda depends on how the fishing really was.

LMAO....... grin

I would probably see if he needed help.If he was nice I'd pull him out, and tell him he owes me a good fishing spot with no tip-ups within 50 feet. If he was a [POOR WORD USAGE] I'd see if he needed to use a cell phone and then leave.

If I had a few beers, I'd drive by.

If everyone in the truck that went in the ditch had a few drinks, I'd offer them a ride to get outta there. Nobody needs an owi, and I can understand a drink or two and driving as long has your in good shape.

You didn't read his post to well... "He walks off a while later" How do you explain the extra tip-up 7 feet away from you (to the dnr) when the other guy isn't even around? He puts you in danger of having too many lines and then he wants you to pull him out of the ditch? If your a disrespectful fisherman don't expect help in less your in danger or something. People need to understand laws and respect, that is what I'm trying to express... It's so simple. I would not do that to anyone or leave a tip-up unattended in the first place:)

I would do A. He might have left being he wasn’t feeling very well and might be having a medical emergency causing him to go in the ditch and doesn’t have a cell to call for help. I would pull him out if there wasn’t alcohol involved. If you pulled him out and he was legally drunk and got in an accident you might be liable. I would also give him his fishing gear back and explain to him about what he did and to have more courtesy next time. I would like people to do to me as I would do to them.

I really don't think he left his tip up on the lake when he walked off, I believe walked off refers too he picked up his gear (including tip up) and left the lake.

Sucks that he was a jerk on the lake, but that happens, I would still help him in someway, either pulling him out or stopping to turn on my flashers to alert other anglers. That said, I would also mention something about his behavior on the lake, some people don't even realize it's rude.

First off, if the guy walked off over 200 feet or off the ice without his tip-up, I'd reel it back in. No more problems there.

If I saw the guy in the ditch, of course I would stop. Regardless if the guy torques my cherries on the ice, the responsible thing to do is to render aid within reason.

Things to consider are weather conditions, vehicle won't start, vehicle roll-over, another vehicle causing an accident involving this person.

I couldn't have said it any better than a previous poster, it's the right thing to do as an FM member. We are without a doubt the best people in the field or on the water, let's prove it.

I would hook the tow rope up to the truck and leave it 7 feet short of the pulling him out. Then I would explain to the guy that that's how far he was from your fishing spot and that isn't very good manners. If he apologizes I back up the 7 feet. If he's a Richard Cranium, I still back up the 7 feet. Karma.

I would most definatly pull him out. Because he would not have gotten that close to with that tip up. But If he did sneak it in I still would pull him out with a cheary smile and I would have done the same thing LEPP7MM would have done pull the tip up out neatly wound up sitting next to the hole.

I would hook the tow rope up to the truck and leave it 7 feet short of the pulling him out. Then I would explain to the guy that that's how far he was from your fishing spot and that isn't very good manners. If he apologizes I back up the 7 feet. If he's a Richard Cranium, I still back up the 7 feet. Karma.

What he said!