Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mimic Shiner

Batteries for fan on Big Buddy Heater

6 posts in this topic

My buddy actually brought this up to me, wondering if the big buddy heater can be wired to run off of a vexilar or other similar type battery? I haven't dove into mine yet to see if it's possible, just wondering if anyone else has tried it, or knows if it can be done.

To be really honest, sounds like alot of work. Fresh batteries last a very, very long time. I am on my 3rd season with the original batteries I put in when I bought it. Yes, 3 years with same batteries, and once that fan ran for a couple days straight after one of my kids turned it on and I didn't realize it.

A Robo duck style rechargeable battery will fit in the D cell compartment, and can be clipped to the power points used by the D cells.

I bought some rechargable 6 volt batteries and wired it to clips and the battery fits where you would put a bottle batteries are about the same size as the vex battery and have never had an issue smile

Vexilars are usually 12 volts and the fan runs on 6 volts (4 D Cells), so you shouldn't use a vexilar battery you would likely burn out the fan motor, but like the others said if you can find a 6 volt rechargeable that would work just fine.

You can get 12V to 6 V converters at Radio Shack too.

You may have them in a drawer already, many old cell phones and gadgets used this drop so one can McGiver a converter just so it is 6V on the out you good to go.

I'm a pack rat...converters and "Stuff" I may someday need tend to end up in a project/junk box and on a day like today...I get inventive and dig in.