• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite minnow bucket

tisch008

Can't say that I've ever owned a minnow bucket that I REALLY like. I currently have one of those plastic buckets with the foam insert and the lid that snaps open. It's nice that it has a hole for an air line but the foam gets all funky if you don't keep it real clean and I can't find a replacement foam insert.

I've had a million of the foam $5 bait shop specials that only last a couple times out and actually like some of them because they have little beer holders in the top. crazy

However, I've never found one that I couldn't part with.

What do you guys think? Found one that you really like and would recommend? I'm certainly ready to expand my minnow bucket horizon!

I like the bucket with the foam insert and snap on lid. The only thing is I take a glue stick and close the holes on the lid. Then I put the minnow bucket inside a 5-gal pail. This way the minnow water cant splash out when I am pulling my portable behind my sled or wheeler.

I use a lunch sized plastic cooler. I can't remember the brand but you can lock the lid in place by folding the handle one direction. That helps prevent some spills. Also when the lid freezes in place, just give it a punch and it breaks free with zero damage.

I use a large sized lunch cooler also. I drilled a small hole up high on the side for the aerator hose. I've had this setup for years now and is the only bucket I use. In summer I strap it in place in my boat and in winter goes with me in the porty. Very rugged and spill proof.

I use the 5 gallon bucket/styro insert,but I made my own lid for it out of 1/4 inch plywood and attached closed cell foam to the bottom of the lid.I attached a steel handle on top and run a short bungee through to hold the lid on tight for runs out to the flats(Mille) or out on LOW.I've had this for fifteen years at least.(Just have to buy a new insert every three years or so)P.s.-i drilled a small hole in the top of the lid for my aeration pump tube too!c63

I also have the bucket with the foam insert and snap on lid. I just put it inside a 5 gallon when I'm pulling the sled and haven't had any issues. It also sits right between the 2 seats in my portable so it's easily accessible.

I bought the 6 gal pile model with the built in air pump/ with foam insert, Light inside pail for at nite. and can be hooked up to your truck 12 volt system.

but if I'm fishing for crappies for just a few hours, I have the bait puck2, it will hold about a dozen plus crappies, I have also kept a half dozen 3" shiners in it for 2 hours. works good.

I currently have one of those plastic buckets with the foam insert and the lid that snaps open. It's nice that it has a hole for an air line but the foam gets all funky if you don't keep it real clean and I can't find a replacement foam insert.

I most likely have the exact minnow pail you discribe, White pail - yellow top - i think it is a Plano? Anyways, like you, I'm not too good at keeping it clean, so the foam got all smelly. I eventually tossed the liner and made my own. Here's how...

Get yourself a plastic Folder's coffee container and a can of expanding foam insulation. Spray about an inch or two in the bottom and set the coffee container on top of the foam. Let it rise for 10 minutes. Then spray a bit more around the sides and let that expand (add more if needed) Walla! a well-insulated water-proof minnow container that is far superior to the original design.

All this DIY tom-foolery aside, I have been giving the wanton eye to the Frabill "Minnow Life" bucket that looks like a small rectangular cooler. It is well insulated, appears to have a water-tight lid, and has a nifty net that holds all the bait in the pail. Only problem is, FF wants 32 dollars for the sucker....