• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy Ice Auger Question

Smails

Question

This summer I bought a slightly used Jiffy Stealth 3 hp ice auger. I used it for the first time today and the blade locked up and stop turning several times as I tried to cut thru the ice.

It would start out OK then stop spinning when it had to work to cut thru the ice. Even slight pressue while drilling would cause the blade to lock up.

With other augers I've always pushed down hard while drilling but that didn't work with this Jiffy.

Has anyone had similar issues? How do I remedy this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

A properly tuned 3hp with a sharp blade you should be able to lean on and not stop.

If you have the single chipper blade drill assembly yes.

With the Stealth drill assemblies just let the weight of the auger drill the hole, with added pressure it will bog down.

Hold the auger like you're cutting a hole, with the gas tank to your right and kill switch to your left. (I'm just assuming the white lightning is similar to the 3HP model) Right under the gas tank is the carb, and on the side of the carb that you are facing you should see two screws. The one on the right has the letter 'HH' (just one) stamped into the carb body which stands for "high speed" or "high idle". The one just to the left of it is your Low Speed or Low Idle screw.

I hope this helps but your unit may differ from mine. Nevertheless, it should be easy to find the carb and the two screws. Look for the HH (just one) if it has that on yours and that should get you in the right direction.

my set up is a little different. I will take a picture tomorrow, but the air filter is built into the gas tank which runs along the side of the engine, not on the handle sides, but perpendicular to the handles.....when I take off the air filter, I can see the choke mechanism and then I am staring directly into the carb. I have looked all around the carb and see no screws to adjust....