• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Compre Rod choice.......

cjac

Hey all,

I have a price range of around $100 to ask for a X-Mas gift.

I have a 6'8" M XFast Criox Avid rod I really like, and would like another close to it, but at that $100 marker.

Am I better off with the 6'6" Med XF or the 6'10" MH XF? I know it's a win-win either way, but I muskie fish a lot and am used to the longer rods (8' to 9' range), but I don't want to go too heavy on the action.

I know from experience the Compre muskie rods are a little "light" on the weight ratings, does the same go for the bass rods, meaning a Hvy Compre muskie rod is more like a MH compared to others..... I have a couple Compres already, but one's a crank rod and the other is longer so I'm at a toss-up on this rod.

Thanks!

Compre rods (assuming casting) also run lighter on the rating IMO. I've got a MH 6'6" Fast - I would have rather gone with a 7 footer.

For an extra $20, I would recommend checking out Fenwick HMG rods - Like it much better than the Compres. Lighter, more sensative. Also has life time warrenty.

Hiya -

Not to throw a total curve ball, but another rod to look at is the St. Croix Mojo Bass series. Same blank material as the Premier, technique-specific tapers, and they're right in that $100 range. I saw them at ICAST last summer and thought they were pretty nice.

This isn't a knock on the Compres, by the way. I have a couple and they're great. A lot of rod for the $.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Thanks Rob,

I just took a look at the St Croix Mojo Bass Series; they are nice rods, I like the split grips. The 7' Plastics rod looks quite appealing in particular.

A couple of the longer and heavier action rods would also be a good light tackle muskie rod, especially that 7'9" Swim Bait rod. Always nice to have multi-species gear.

Thanks for the assist.

All I use are COMPRE rods. And Deitz, correct me if I'm wrong, but they too have a lifetime warranty. Cjac, they are a great rod for the price. Good luck.

They do, I'm sure Chris was aware of that. The question here is more how do the bass rods compare, as the muskie models have been pretty thoroughly evaluated.

I do a lot of bass fishing and have never needed anything heavier action than what the compre's provide. They may be a tad bit lighter action than other brand's, but I have never needed anymore than what they do provide. Hope this help's, just my 2 cent's worth.